Clutch @ Nelson Ledges

ProudPops

Fasttrax Roadrace license, session one, Nelson Ledges.

I've been watching the weather for the Warren, OH area for a few days. It's been calling for rain so we wanted to make sure he had the right tires on his R6 for his first of two license testing sessions. BTW, if anyone wants to donate a set of wheels and rotors for an '05 R6 please contact me. I have a Sharpie, we'll write your name on his bike. We opted to take the Michelins off and put on the other brand,

Pick up Clutch and his friend, Kyle, load up, eat, and hit the road. No rain so far, just overcast. A little over three hours later, we pull into Nelson Ledges. First words out of Clutch's mouth (with a smile), "Look at the patches on that track! Yeah!" Now understand, the last time we were there was when he was eight or nine, so neither one of us remembered much of the track. Signed in, asked the whereabouts of Todd Stanley, great guy more about him later, and was directed to the Tech Center. Made the loop, crossed the Costa Rica Bridge, and we're in. Clutch finds Todd while I'm opening up the trailer and getting set up. Todd Stanley, along with his family, own and operate Fasttrax. Clutch hit the nail on the head with this quote on the way home last night. "Todd is one of those guys with a permanent smile on his face." He's one of those people you're already comfortable with before you even shake his hand. If any of you are looking for some track time, or just want to improve your street riding skills, check him out at www.fastone.com he gets my vote. Todd introduces us to Lee, sorry I forget the last name, who will be with Clutch and one other rider, Chuck, on the track amidst an open practice session. Lee and Clutch go over his bike. Lee gives him some tips and pointers and says, "Lets get out on the track. Follow me, I'll show you some lines, nothing out of fourth gear." Three or four laps, red flag comes out. Lee stops to make sure all are OK (they were), Clutch pulls into the pits. I asked him what he thought.

"Damn, this track is bumpy as shit and I have no confidence in these tires at all."

"How's your suspension?"

"Honestly, I wouldn't change a thing. My only problem is I can't tell the difference between a wet part of the track and the sealer, they both look the same to me."

"Can you go fast here?"

"Yeah."

This is a two mile road course that is supposedly the fastest road course in the country. The track record for cars is just under a minute and the new bike record was recently set three weeks ago around 1:06, you do the math, they're flying!

During the down time, Lee goes over the course map with Clutch and Chuck until the track goes green again. Back on the track again. This time Lee lets them lead so he can watch from behind. Several laps into it, it starts to rain. They stayed out for about three laps until it got heavier and came in. Lee looked at Clutch and Chuck and said, "It's up to you guys, I'll go out there for five or six more if you want to, practice is practice." Clutch says, "I'll go." and the three of them went back out as more came in. Jeff and I looked at each other, smiled and said "No friggin way would I go out there." We watched from the tech center as all three circulated the track with rooster tails in tow. I could tell Clutch was getting comfortable as he accelerated harder on the front straight each time. I have no idea how he was doing on the reported river crossing in the carousel. Next lap around, he nails it. The rear end steps out, he backs off, straightens it out, hits it again and keeps right on going. Jeff and I look at each other and go, "Uh uh, no way." A lap later Clutch pulls in, another lap, Chuck pulls in, and about four more laps later Lee pulls in. They get out of their wet leathers, pow wow, and it's time to load up and head south.

All in all, we had a great time! Personal opinion that Clutch and I both share after yesterday. Todd runs a very relaxed event, you will feel comfortable. Everyone there was very considerate and if they did something on the track they thought may have been wrong, they approached you afterwards and let you know it was not intentional. There is a comfort level with Fasttrax that is easy to feel. The other thing, most of the riders are local to that area, and they all love that track. Why not? It's the best neighborhood playground you could ever imagine.

Clutch and I will be up there for his last test session on Oct. fourth.There's no doubt in my mind, he'll pass his licensing test just in time to make their last race of the season on October eighth. He'll be able to race in three different classes that day so we're going for it. Come on up and root for #604, the new kid in town.

ProudPops

sounds great! glad to hear he kept it up in the rain. that place is very tricky in the wet. can't wait to see him out there next year. i plan on runnin some fast trax stuff if i can fit it into the schedule. gotta get used to those blasted 600 inlines...