How To: Convert your old SLR lens into a macro lens

Likwid

How To section seems better for MC stuff...

Pictures of the lens soon, this has been posted plenty of places but w/e

Pull the sticker off the front of the lens (around the glass)

Remove the 3 screws.

Remove focusing glass

done... really that's it. If you're using anything other than Canon it may have a different procedure, but generally all lens can be taken apart for servicing so it's just a matter of finding how.

Here's a picture taken, it's ULTRA fine in terms of DOF but good for what it is... a free macro lens (I used my old 35-80). REALLY need a tripod and proper lighting but you get the idea.

1/200, f/4, 1600 ISO, with Flash

4351833735_0eb2407998_b.jpg

What kind of Canon are you using? I would try this but I only have one lense and I dont want to ruin it by screwing something up.

I wouldn't do this with a lens you use/need. Grab a cheap 35-80 off eBay for around 30 bucks or less.

I'm using the 35-80 kit lens that came with my Rebel G film camera (that I traded in for my Rebel XS)

I use my old 50mm ef lens for reverse macro on my dslr. the pics look stunning! perfect poor man macro photography :)

yeah, what he said. I've got a reverse mount that lets a 50mm mount up backwards to do macro. It works. Better is a set of 0, 1, and 2 diopter close up lenses of good quality, that screw into the filter thread on a 50mm lenses.

And if you want depth of field, build yourself an LED ring light.