Dude arrested for trying to light a smoke off the Olympic torch

Casper

what a moron... There's just about ONE rule when you're at such an event: don't touch the person/people doing the torch relay.

Considering how much of a target these events are for terrorism, the guy's lucky they didn't tackle him a lot harder.

roflmao, it's Canada, but I have to wonder what would happen if that occurred in the USA... is there a law that protects the olympic torch? Or would it be considered disturbing the peace?

In criminal terms, or in civil?

It wouldn't be hard to argue assault and/or battery. A lot would depend on how the state jurisdiction defines each crime.

but you can 'assault' someone at the tort level simply by approaching them in a manner you know is threatening. people have a right to feel safe and secure. I wouldnt' want to be the defense attorney trying to argue that the idiot acted "reasonably."

He reached for the torch, and "knew or should have known" that the carrier (and police) would assume he's trying to take it.

In criminal terms, or in civil?

It wouldn't be hard to argue assault and/or battery. A lot would depend on how the state jurisdiction defines each crime.

but you can 'assault' someone at the tort level simply by approaching them in a manner you know is threatening. people have a right to feel safe and secure. I wouldnt' want to be the defense attorney trying to argue that the idiot acted "reasonably."

He reached for the torch, and "knew or should have known" that the carrier (and police) would assume he's trying to take it.

I'm thinking criminally. Now I'm going to get into armchair analysis, but since the man had acted and then seemed to be done wouldn't that end the "threat"

Or I guess one could argue "We thought he was lighting a bomb"

Edit: I see cdub said that already, great minds and all