H-D or Suzie?

GhostRider357

Hey guys....Ive been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with the money i have for a bike.....the 2 im considering are a 2008 Harley Davidson Sportster XL883 or the 2008 Suzuki M50. Both are between 800-900 cc's and they're similar bike but i dont know what to decide from... I like the harley look and the name but HD is sometimes > :flingpoo:

And i like the Suzuki becasue its a bit lighter and is liquid cooled....What do u guys think? As my first bike an 800-900cc crusier isnt to big.......Give me as many opinions as possible! i need the help :D

Thanks

Don't get the HD. They're horrible machines. no power, and just garbage. I was actually talking last night with this guy I know, always had sport bikes, messed up his back and had to have surgery 2 years ago so he got a HD because the constant lean was hurting his back.

He said the HD rides so bad that he's all but quit riding because he can't take the pain, it has NO brakes and is down right scary to try to stop from speed, has terrible head shake above 70mph, and in general quality control is "if it rolls out the door its good enough" :lol:

That was about it, basically went on about how heavy and slow it is, and that your basically buying a bike that is built EXACTLY how it was in 1954, for 2015 prices, how there's a $100 dollar fee to walk into a dealer and they never have anything in stock, even though they all use the same parts just shuffled around from model to model and painted different colors.

Harleys are garbage, you can get a much better, dependable bike for much less money. Personally I like the Suzie Boulavards, and the Honda VTX's :D

I've never had a problem with head shake at 70 or higher on H-D's, brakes..yeah...suck... and in order to make any reasonable power you need to spend another $10... and they're still pretty gutless.. I haven't ridden any newer than early 90's though, they may be getting worse.

I'd never own one, if I were looking for a 'cruiser' it'd have to be a Triumph Rocket III.... ;-)

I've never had a problem with head shake at 70 or higher on H-D's,...

I realize it's hard to believe a HD will even go 70mph but i guess with enough of a hill and tail wind even a snail could get there...

Check this out, and do some actual research before buying anything.

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/lawsuit1.htm

Do a google search, there's hundreds of lawsuits agains HD for high speed instability, including many that are being brought forth by various police districts that were unfortunate enough to use those pieces of shit. there's several cases of officers losing the bike and having limbs amputated, or even killed for no other reason that they happened to have the misfortune of being on a HD.

They are utterly amazing pieces of junk and any consumer with half a brain would never buy one. The company survives on peoples stupidity and all it sells is a lifestyle to sheeple who want to be "individuals" by buying into a flock, or the Milwaukee Orthodox, and dress themselves in all the official gear like it's friggin Harley Halloween.

Never ridden any FLH's, or any of the newer stuff. Never owned one either, just rode various friends bikes, rentals and the like. They are overpriced, under engineered low tech tractor like two wheeled monstrosities. But somehow they keep selling them.

There's an interesting interview with Sonny Barger (by Dave Schwartz) where he talks about a 2000 Dyna Glide Sport he bought for his wife that'd go into speed wobble at 85.... and HE couldn't get H-D to do anything about it... Now that's customer disservice..

But somehow they keep selling them...

Mainly babyboomers or people that are a low social status and want to fit into a very old image of a bad boy. When I don't see how you can look like a bad boy with stringy frays hanging off of saddlebags and handlebars flapping in the wind. My cousin had those on her training wheel bike, but she upgraded to the pink basket in front too; it looked good for a 5year old girl.

Mainly babyboomers or people that are a low social status and want to fit into a very old image of a bad boy. When I don't see how you can look like a bad boy with stringy frays hanging off of saddlebags and handlebars flapping in the wind. My cousin had those on her training wheel bike, but she upgraded to the pink basket in front too; it looked good for a 5year old girl.

EXACTLY! What other social niche supports many large burly men all dressed from head to toe in leather, with fringes, chaps, and studs and chains all over the place? :supergay:

HD Sells there chaps in two styles, full, and ASSLESS BABY :lol:

yeah guys i rly want a sportbike....like i said in my intro start with a kawa 250 then to the GSXR600 but everyone keeps telling me im gonna kill myself of a "crotch rocket" whatever...im gonna do what i want.... :cheers:

yeah guys i rly want a sportbike....like i said in my intro start with a kawa 250 then to the GSXR600 but everyone keeps telling me im gonna kill myself of a "crotch rocket" whatever...im gonna do what i want.... :cheers:
Sounds like 'everybody' has no clue. The 250 Ninja is light, easy to manage and handles very well. Not overly powerful. A used EX500 would be a good choice too (IMO), if you're partial to the 'cruiser look' a Vulcan 500 might be a good choice.

A 600cc+ 4 cylinder high performance sport bike is *not* a good choice, again just my opinion.

Most people who buy high performance sportbikes as their first bikes never have problems with them. You will hear a lot of people yelling about them though. I think it really depends on the person doing the riding and their mindset. If you can keep a cool head you should be alright. however...

First thing you do is sign yourself up for the MSF course.

Second, if you want something sporty don't waste your time with something like the 250. Invest in something you can use and enjoy a bit longer like the SV650 or 650R. Not as aggressive as the reg sportbikes. I'm not dogging the 250, it's a good bike, but even my wife passed on getting something that small.

If you are looking for a cruiser I'd second (3rd, 4th...) not getting a Harley. My Dad has Suzuki Boulevard I've ridden for about 1000 miles and it's a pretty good bike. Not sure about the others though.

I think you mentioned this before and I am going to highly recommend that you take some sort of motorcycle riding and safetly class.

I took a class throught the Ohio Department of Safety.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/

The classes fill up fast but if you are under 18, I think you get priority admittance and it's probably even free. Otherwise it was $20-25 and it's worth every penny.

I had never driven a motorcycle before, I took the class, got my endorsement the following monday, bought my CBR600RR the following Saturday and haven't had any issue that I didn't learn how to handle from the class.

Buying a 250 wouldn't be a bad idea. I chose not to because I knew that I would want a bigger bike sooner than later and felt more confident about buying a 600 after taking the riding and safety class.

I am happy with my CBR600, I scared the crap out of myself when I first tried to take my husband's busa for a spin :lol: , and I am happy with my VStar1100. I've yet to see how his RoyalStar feels. I think it's a 1300 or something and I feel like it's kinda too heavy for me BUT ANYWAY...

Sit on a couple of different bikes, see how they feel and how well you balance on them. Like someone else said before, you shouldn't have a hard time selling a 250 after you buy one and you are ready to upgrade.

Regardless of what garbage people will try to feed you, HD's are great machines... Do actual research and don't rely on opinions on boards like these... All manfacturers have their shortcomings, including the Japs...

If you are planning on buying a cruiser you plan on riding forever and don't care about silly social status crap, then the Jap cruisers are hard to beat... If you think you may want to get a different bike in a few years, you cannot touch HD. Yeah, you pay more up front, but NO other bike holds it's value better.

I've never had a problem with head shake at 70 or higher on H-D's, brakes..yeah...suck... and in order to make any reasonable power you need to spend another $10... and they're still pretty gutless.. I haven't ridden any newer than early 90's though, they may be getting worse.

I'd never own one, if I were looking for a 'cruiser' it'd have to be a Triumph Rocket III.... ;-)

Bigger displacement on the new HD's... From everything I've read, they're packin' on the yarbles... That being said, Rocket III's are CRAZY... I'd totally rock one...

EXACTLY! What other social niche supports many large burly men all dressed from head to toe in leather, with fringes, chaps, and studs and chains all over the place? :supergay:

HD Sells there chaps in two styles, full, and ASSLESS BABY :lol:

Your amazing intellect never fails to amaze me... All chaps are assless... Otherwise they'd be pants!

If you want a sportbike, buy a sportbike. If you aren't an idiot starting off on a 600 isn't a terrible idea...

the c50 is a nice bike i have an 06, it rides good and sounds ok when i put full pipes on it. it wall hang right with a 88cc big twin until about 90. it handles like a tub of jello, but that is not the purpose of the bike. you can ride it fast there are a few guys here that know i was riding on it on night and was passing slow ass riders on sport bikes in the curves on I70 by alum creek, grinding floor board and all.

the c50 is a nice bike i have an 06, it rides good and sounds ok when i put full pipes on it. it wall hang right with a 88cc big twin until about 90. it handles like a tub of jello, but that is not the purpose of the bike. you can ride it fast there are a few guys here that know i was riding on it on night and was passing slow ass riders on sport bikes in the curves on I70 by alum creek, grinding floor board and all.

That's just sad man... sad. :lol: