LSL's or Shoguns?

MetaLord 9

Alright, I need an opinion. Clearly I need to throw some sliders on '07 ZX-6R instead of tempting fate. I can get a Shogun crash kit (sliders - cut, bar ends, & swing arm spools) for about $90. OR I'm work'n out a deal w/my dealer where I get a pair of LSL sliders at cost which is about $100 total for the slider & pucks, but no bar ends or swing arm spools. Does anyone have LSL's or Shoguns? What do you think about 'em & what would you do in the situation. Thanks for the advice in advance!

I have had Lockhart Phillips and currently have the shogun crash kit on both my bikes. I have also installed the LSL's on my girls bike..

couple of things.. are you sure the shoguns are the CUT type? ( i did not see the cut style fo rthe 07 ZX6 on mottomummy page.. the cut types hold up better then the no cut..

To me, I go for protection. having sliders and swingarm spools both will help in the case of a low side.. (ask me how I know) my sliders and spools saved my bike. Plastics and engine case covers are one thing you will most likely have to replace in a lowside. but do you really want to replace a swingarm and axle if you grind the shit out of it. If you go down your going to wish you had spools.

the LSL's look nice but like I said, I want more protection for my $$$ so getting swingarm spools for the same price was a no brainer to me.

and just so you know.. all sliders will do their job until a certain point and is 100% dependent on the type of crash impact. you have to realize that a 80pmh lowside on one persons bike may be completely protected by the sliders while a 10mph drop on another's with the same sliders may snap them off.

Also.. people get all pissed off about dropping their bike and scratching up their plastics because they have sliders.... These are frame sliders, not plastic sliders.. they are meant to protect your frame from damage.. the new sportbikes are all lighter and if you dent, scratch, or gouge the frame no matter how small, an Insurance company will total it.

Hopefully this helps..

Spools really aren't supposed to save the bike.... They will bend very easy if the hit anything solid. I have lowsided my race 600 once and highsided it once and with the small aluminium spools my swingarm still doesn't have a scratch. A buddy with 05 GSXR 600 has the big slider spools and in one crash the right side slider bolt was bent to barely useable.

I definately try to stay with the Mushroom type sliders as they may help the bike to slide instead of flip.

Flounder do you know which brand comes with the best bolt? Most of these places give cheap bolts that bend on the slowest of wrecks.

Spools really aren't supposed to save the bike.... They will bend very easy if the hit anything solid. I have lowsided my race 600 once and highsided it once and with the small aluminium spools my swingarm still doesn't have a scratch. A buddy with 05 GSXR 600 has the big slider spools and in one crash the right side slider bolt was bent to barely useable.

I definately try to stay with the Mushroom type sliders as they may help the bike to slide instead of flip.

Flounder do you know which brand comes with the best bolt? Most of these places give cheap bolts that bend on the slowest of wrecks.

Actually all of the"GOOD" bolts are designed to bend.. a hardened bolt sill snap instantly.. its the bolts ability to accept stress and bend instead of snap that helps to save the bike.

My office is in Upper Arlington & my apt is in Dublin, but I was down in GV last Friday for dinner & I was wearing a jacket. I usually squid it up and just go helmet & gloves. You live in the GV area?

Don't get me wrong, I'm eventually going to get swingarm spools, but LSL's are much more expensive than the Shoguns so it wouldn't be an immediate thing. The LSLs are no-cut, but they wrap the frame instead of just bolting on an extension like the Shoguns.

My office is in Upper Arlington & my apt is in Dublin, but I was down in GV last Friday for dinner & I was wearing a jacket. I usually squid it up and just go helmet & gloves. You live in the GV area?

Don't get me wrong, I'm eventually going to get swingarm spools, but LSL's are much more expensive than the Shoguns so it wouldn't be an immediate thing. The LSLs are no-cut, but they wrap the frame instead of just bolting on an extension like the Shoguns.

Sounds like you have already make up your mind..

i have the lsl on my 05 gsxr 1000 and i like them them best in my opinion and if by some chance you do go down you can just replace the pucks and you dont have to buy complete new set. so hopefully you dont ever go down and have to worry about that part. it looks like it will just come down to what do you like the best

Just worry about frame sliders. Sure, replacing bar ends with the same material as your frame sliders isn't a bad idea, but why? unless for track use. The OEM bar ends are fine for street. They will protect and do a good job "assisting" in a low side...

As far as the swing arm spools - DON'T DO IT. They are too big and typically get caught and snap off the mount where the bolt threads in to. You then need to weld the mount back to the swing arm or you have to buy a swing arm stand that is universal fit and not designed for buttons...

Plus, they are stupid big and look terrible.

LSL stuff is rounded. They assist in a typical lowside and will not bend the bolts. Typically... Monte at STT has a set that goes against this as they dug into the hard earth once the bike left the track surface...

Frame sliders are a needed evil. In a crash, they usually bend the bolt which is fine as opposed to breaking the bolt, but they sometimes will pull the threads and cause damage to the threaded hole on the frame.

It's a catch 22 of sorts. Frame slider - possibly Heli-coil the frame. No frame sliders, case cover, fairing, etc., etc., etc. needing replaced.

However, I have seen MANY times where we had a low side and the frame slider catches the curbing and literally caused more damage than if they weren't on there...

For every "It saved my bike" reply, I can add "They actually made it worse", but we run them because more often than not, they help... Just don't think it is a cure all...

• 4 weeks later...

I've got stuff all over my bike just in case, but every crash is different. The theory behind the bent bolt is it won't snap your frame mount off in a crash.

Just stay away from the no-cut if you can help it. In the case of a CBR1000RR a no-cut on the left side often bends and closes off the water pump housing (smashes it) and you have to drop the engine to replace it, big bucks.

If you have a dremel tool it's not hard to put the cut ones in, just take your time and you'll be fine. I drill a small hole to see right where the engine mount is and then enlarge it bit by bit with a sanding bit affixed to the dremel, sliding the slider up to the hole periodically to see where it needs enlarged more until it's even all around where it comes through. It's easier IMO with the bodywork on than off and chancing drilling the hole in the wrong spot and ruining your panel.

Works like a charm, so don't be afraid to try it youself.

I've got stuff all over my bike just in case, but every crash is different. The theory behind the bent bolt is it won't snap your frame mount off in a crash.

Just stay away from the no-cut if you can help it. In the case of a CBR1000RR a no-cut on the left side often bends and closes off the water pump housing (smashes it) and you have to drop the engine to replace it, big bucks.

If you have a dremel tool it's not hard to put the cut ones in, just take your time and you'll be fine. I drill a small hole to see right where the engine mount is and then enlarge it bit by bit with a sanding bit affixed to the dremel, sliding the slider up to the hole periodically to see where it needs enlarged more until it's even all around where it comes through. It's easier IMO with the bodywork on than off and chancing drilling the hole in the wrong spot and ruining your panel.

Works like a charm, so don't be afraid to try it youself.

There's a few issues here - bent bolts can cause the threads to get pulled out or ruined. The frame mount won't be an issue. It's the engine mount area. The frame mount simply allows the bolt to pass through where it ATTACHES to the motor. I've seen numerous cheap sliders pull threads completely out of where they attach to teh motor. Heli-coils work, but again, you need to tilt the motor down and out a bit to fix. Plus, they can sometimes get to a point where it needs filled, drilled out and tapped.... BAD...

Don't be afraid of no cut sliders. Some may be different like say the CBR vs. the GSXRs. The GSXRs are designed for racing and therefore, the mount points are slightly ahead of the bodywork. No cut sliders allow you to offset the slider to avoid cutting that expensive street plastic. On a race bike, we don't care.

The issue with no cuts are the brackets. They tend to break and or bend bolts and usually pull bolts out. They act as a lever of sorts.

Personally, I think they are shit, too. I'm just trying to point out that they aren't 100% junk or going to cause major issues.

I've seen LSLs bend bolts and pull threads too. Like stated, no two crashes are the same...