battery/starter

Steve Butters

ok well the vmax has been having starting issues...ever since it got cold it wouldnt wanna fire up

i assumed it was the battery, but it also sounds like maybe the starter

battery looks like this

0308100756.jpg

does that mean i need to add water to it until its up to the upper level? ive never had a battery that wasnt maintenance free..

also, it has 12.7v across the terminals

now the starter, when i push Start, a lot of times it will free spin, then i stop and if i adjust the choke and then try again sometimes it will turn over, and after failing to start it will usually start free spinning again...

what should i do? put water in the battery and replace the starter? is there something im missing about these batteries? or would the low water cause the bike to not start like that?

heres what the starter looks like

STARTING_MOTOR.Gif

my buddy just txtd me and said it sounds like the starter gear, but not the one on the starter...i know nothing about bikes...would that be part of the starter clutch assembly?

money is tight and i dont want to buy a battery right now until the bike is fixed...i dont believe the battery is bad