Spindle/castle nut tool

justin0469

Who has a spindle nut (AKA castle but) tool? I need it to removed the swingarm pivot bolt. I need 32mm. I'd rather not have to take the time to make one, so let me know if you have one or if you know where I can get one TODAY! NAPA only has gigantic ones in stock (2-2.5") Looks like this:

24779.jpg

Here's a pic of the nut (may not work):

attachment.php?attachmentid=12726&d=1181174736

You don't have one in your tool kit? It's usually a wrench not a socket.

Edit. Nevermind. I just reread it and saw it's for the SA nut. I don't have one.

Sears has them for $19, but supposedly online only. They call them a 4wd spindle nut wrench, even though it isn't a wrench. LOL. Might be worth calling around and seeing if any local Sears or Sears Hardware stores have it in stock.

Yeah....I saw them online only. I need it todaaaaaaaay :( havent checked Jegs though

The only one listed on Jeg's site is made by Strange, and it's like $60. I'd call and see if they have any others and if they have them in stock.

You won't hurt anything doing it that way. Use a 1/8 punch and a hammer and hit in the upper left side of the nut. Make sure you put the punch in one of the groves. Do NOT use a screw driver to do this as you will mar up the frame and other parts.

The problem is when you go to re-torque it. Then you'll need the socket and the torque wrench that fits it. But back-in-the-day we always used a punch or drift or chisel to get it off NOW, and often bought a new nut if it was chopped up. And faked the torque when we put it back on. Several times till we got it right. Heh...

Like this?

picture.php?albumid=419&pictureid=9883

I don't have a punch though.

ImageServer.ashx%3Ft%3Dproduct%26h%3D200%26w%3D200%26imageid%3DCS8539412&size=20&dhm=d8ee11b&hl=en

FUCKING LOOOOVE that drawing :lol:

That is, without a doubt, the best drawing I've seen on OR in quite some time.

I think it's CAD (Corona Aided Design).:p

punch and hammer. This swing arm nut is really just a lock nut. Cant be too tight IMO lol. I only know suzuki and on them the SA bolt screws in and stops and this castle nut just locks it in. I have used the "special" tool before and it does not work as well as u may think.

*These are not facts. They are IMO only and not to be writen as law.*

BTW that pic is the shit!