Dayton area PC guru?

mello dude

My Dell PC is about 3 years old with XP on it. Its starting to make a dull repetitive metalic sound once in a while - seems in sink while a hard drive spinning.

Is the HD going out and what do I do to clone what I have to a new HD settup? I can easily take out old and put in new, but I dont want to lose my programs/data/settup

- Yeah, I'm PC tech challenged. :confused:

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

buy new hard drive. plug in new hard drive to secondary IDE/SATA connector

boot off of clonezilla cd

clone old hard drive to new hard drive

take out old hard drive, then make new hard drive primary

boot.

fyi, if you can hear the hard drive making noises, you probably have very little time left

buy a mac = problem solved

Hey asshat..... Mac's have hard drives too!

Seriously though, backing up the MAC stuff should be easy enough, since there aren't very many programs that run on a Mac (without a wimdows VM running) that putting it back top original will be close to what you'd have anyway.

:lol:

Only problem with solid state at this time is that its damn near impossible to do data recovery or forensics analysis on them due to the way data is stored. Once you deleted something from the drive, your basically fooked and wont be getting it back...

This is both good and bad

There are so many IT geeks on this site it's ridiculous.

If it was me. I'd buy a new Hard drive and one of these things

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102&cm_re=usb_to_IDE-_-12-156-102-_-Product

put the new hard drive into the computer. Put a fresh copy of windows on and then use the USB to IDE/sata adapter to copy files from failing drive to new drive.

Of course there are many other ways of doing this as well.

....BTW, was the guy who said buy a mac serious? That was possibly one of the dumbest things I've seen posted in awhile. My Mac is currently dead due to a bad Hard drive FYI MAC fanboys.

If you think the sound is linked to your hard drive then you'd better replace it because it's going to fail. At the vey least make sure you have current backups. The Clonezilla CD mentioned by Wrillo can be good but some find it hard to use.

Take a look at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T. Most hard drives in the last 5 years have this self monitoring technology in them. I can't recommend a windows program to use to read the log but I'm sure you can find one on the net or someone here will know. This s.m.a.r.t. log will show you if you have a bad spot(s) on your drive. I'd recommend everyone look at it occasionally while your drive can still spin. Once the drive stops spinng and starts clicking then it's too late. Salvage the magnets (good for making your own tank bag) and use the platters for the face of a clock.

Microcenter has stores in Cincinnati and Columbus. They have very good deals and many times I have seen them beat Newegg's prices.

www.microcenter.com

yes, buy the stuff where ever you want. newegg just has the easiest stuff to link to IMHO.

I go to microcenter on bethel all the time and they have the usb to SATA/IDE adapters and they have hard drives.

yes, buy the stuff where ever you want. newegg just has the easiest stuff to link to IMHO.

I go to microcenter on bethel all the time and they have the usb to SATA/IDE adapters and they have hard drives.

I bought a 2 TB Hitachi drive there for $150, now I think they have it for $130!