Speedo dont work right? 94 DR350ES

sanlot17

I just put a new speedo assy on...Now I get a reading but the speedo dont read right? Sometimes it acts like its going to work then it drops down and i dont think it reads accurate at all! I unsheethed the cable and lubed it and still sucks! I see the cable is moving when I rotate the tire when I have the other end off...Any help would be great..

New speedo cable also? What you describe sounds like the cable spinning without turning the speedo assy. One or the other or both is worn or perhaps the inner cable isn't long enough. Usually happens where the cable attaches to the speedo.

Can you pull the cable out of the cable sheath and inspect it? Even a tiny bit of frayed cable will cause low or wobbly speed readings.

edit: which means that both ends of the cable have to be screwed on all the way. Sounds basic, but down at the wheel, dirt and grit can stop it from screwing on all the way. Some bikes are touchy about the cable having to be on all the way. Dunno what else to think of.

Edited by ReconRat

My dr650 did that this winter the plastic gear on the wheel that runs the cable was worn out. It would still turn the cable but not all the time. Alan

Plastic? yup, better look there first.