twincharge7

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well everyone I was there when they ran the bike on the dyno and it made

267 RWHP... yes thats at the rear wheel... I was impressed but thats what

you get when you put all that work into a bike!!! It was awesome.:kneel:

Well sorry guys and gals... must have been drunk that night and forgot to add that those were the hp numbers from the Hayabusa drag bike they were running on the dyno after stevans bike as we were leaving... didnt mean to mislead anyone...

If hp means nothing because your riding skills are so much better than everyone else why do you have modifications done to your bike to make more power.

Well, when competing against like riders in terms of ability, any little advantage is needed. Racing requires your machine to be at the best it can be. Does that mean riding ability has no weight in racing? Riding ability STILL plays out in racing. Robert Jensen is WAY faster than I am. Do I hope to compete with Robert? No. I cannot. However, when I was racing full time, I wasn't too awful bad. When we lost the championships we finished second in, many times it wasn't due to rider ability - it was equipment. However, at times, rider ability was the reason. I got beat by some fast guys in my time and I honestly believe that rider ability is why. Opie Caylor wanted my 750 in 2002 at the Suzuki Cup Qualifier we raced in at Mid-Ohio. I had one of the top privateer Suzukis in terms of hp. However, Opie beat me soundly. HP made no difference.

Can you tell the difference between a 25mm fork kit and a 20mm fork kit? Depending on ability, you can. Otherwise, if you cannot, you are wasting money. It's the same with all these bolt ons and motor builds every street guy wants. When you start bragging about what you have over another guy, that bragging is made public on forums and in front of others. I just find it funny that instead of some guy riding a bone stock 160 hp street machine and trying to learn that (Most street guys will NEVER get close to the abilities of their bikes - especially liter bikes) bike, they think adding MORE hp is the answer. When, in fact, a better rider (especially when talking street riding and track days) will win out more often than not...

Point was not to say I'm better - point was that riding ability will win over hp any day. If you think otherwise, I have some secret speed parts I will sell you GUARANTEED to make you more power... Or, you can come out to an STT event and we'll coach you to be a better rider and the money you would spend on aftermarket parts can go towards track days that will make you a better rider sure to beat anyone you ride with...

Well, when competing against like riders in terms of ability, any little advantage is needed. Racing requires your machine to be at the best it can be. Does that mean riding ability has no weight in racing? Riding ability STILL plays out in racing. Robert Jensen is WAY faster than I am. Do I hope to compete with Robert? No. I cannot. However, when I was racing full time, I wasn't too awful bad. When we lost the championships we finished second in, many times it wasn't due to rider ability - it was equipment. However, at times, rider ability was the reason. I got beat by some fast guys in my time and I honestly believe that rider ability is why. Opie Caylor wanted my 750 in 2002 at the Suzuki Cup Qualifier we raced in at Mid-Ohio. I had one of the top privateer Suzukis in terms of hp. However, Opie beat me soundly. HP made no difference.

Can you tell the difference between a 25mm fork kit and a 20mm fork kit? Depending on ability, you can. Otherwise, if you cannot, you are wasting money. It's the same with all these bolt ons and motor builds every street guy wants. When you start bragging about what you have over another guy, that bragging is made public on forums and in front of others. I just find it funny that instead of some guy riding a bone stock 160 hp street machine and trying to learn that (Most street guys will NEVER get close to the abilities of their bikes - especially liter bikes) bike, they think adding MORE hp is the answer. When, in fact, a better rider (especially when talking street riding and track days) will win out more often than not...

Point was not to say I'm better - point was that riding ability will win over hp any day. If you think otherwise, I have some secret speed parts I will sell you GUARANTEED to make you more power... Or, you can come out to an STT event and we'll coach you to be a better rider and the money you would spend on aftermarket parts can go towards track days that will make you a better rider sure to beat anyone you ride with...

:plus1: That's soo true. then once you get near to the limit of the bike, horsepower makes a BIG difference. learn how to rail the shit out of your stock bike, then make said bike faster, then learn how to rail faster bike, and so on.

:cheers: boy oh boy, argument after argument! Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but....Lizard, dya think you're doing the same thing: bragging......... on skill? :cheers:

No matter what someone does, there is always someone that will have something to say about how they should have done something else. Do what you want...it's your bike, time, and money. You can always learn to ride as good as me later, Stevan. :flingpoo: hahaha :nono:

No matter what someone does, there is always someone that will have something to say about how they should have done something else. Do what you want...it's your bike, time, and money. You can always learn to ride as good as me later, Stevan. :flingpoo: hahaha :nono:

yea...I should have bought a GPS to increase my riding skill :slap: and then learn how to correctly install it on a bike. :thefinger:

:plus1: That's soo true. then once you get near to the limit of the bike, horsepower makes a BIG difference. learn how to rail the shit out of your stock bike, then make said bike faster, then learn how to rail faster bike, and so on.

They don't get it, do they Drew? Oh, well. What's the comment Monte always makes about stuff like this?

:cheers: boy oh boy, argument after argument! Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but....Lizard, dya think you're doing the same thing: bragging......... on skill? :cheers:

Not sure where I am bragging... Guys like Rocky and others get an inferiority complex once you dis certain things, I guess... I know my own abilities and know the average street riders abilities. Street guys tend to be a LOT more sure about themselves...

Oh, well... If honesty is bragging, I guess I'm guilty...

so what is the point of trying to "piss in his cheerios"? I am sure some of you guys are awesome on the track nobody ever bashed you. Why can't someone who rides on the street have a nice bike? You are not his accountant so his finances are none of your business. If he wants to "waste" money on mods that he will "never" notice then so be it.

i will say that for riding on the street, it's like driving on the street. you want to have the fastest thing out there, and that usually means straight line acceleration. different strokes for different folks. if you are a twisty rider, then work on suspension and skill, if you like goin fast then more power the better, and so on.

yea...I should have bought a GPS to increase my riding skill :slap: and then learn how to correctly install it on a bike. :thefinger:

Well, maybe if the people I ride with didn't ride to the middle of nowhere and want to stay ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day, then I wouldn't need a GPS. But, any time you want to race to the middle of nowhere to see if riding skills gets you back home :nono:...LET ME KNOW!! As far as installation, my dog chewed up the first mount which caused some technical difficulties lol....but I have a question for you, "Did a manual come w/ that solo seat cowl of yours? :slap::bigfinger:...damn, I can't even really joke about that since it pretty much happened to me too.

You are correct, rider skill is the best "mod" for any sport bike.I'm not down playing the importantance rider skill.I belive like you,if you want your bike to go faster you need to learn to make it go faster.I think your under estimating the thrill of new power.

I get whatcha are sayin'. Too often I actually forget about that thrill. I've actually been talking with twin on my suggestions of which way he ought to go.

Sorry for the rant. Cheers to cool bikes and the fact that we all like goodies and techno stuff. I just want everyone to be safe and ride well.:cheers:

I get whatcha are sayin'. Too often I actually forget about that thrill. I've actually been talking with twin on my suggestions of which way he ought to go.

Sorry for the rant. Cheers to cool bikes and the fact that we all like goodies and techno stuff. I just want everyone to be safe and ride well.:cheers:

Yea...we've been discussing that and believe me, I'm not all about power w/o control or how to maximize it. I can TOTALLY understand where you come from, Lizard! Racing cars from the past 7 years have humbled and taught me many lessons and of course, I have my negative opinion toward people who concern about appearance/mods without tracking their high-hp cars. If I could humbly share my experience, on the first 4 years, I've raced from front to mid-engine, RWD, FWD, AWD, turboed, supercharged, and twincharged cars. Not only as a driving instructor on autox tracks, but also programming on how many turbo/supercharger boost per rpm are my specialty. Now, you know where I come from and why I mention the 'kit' for the bike in our pm's.

Tracking a bike is a foreign land for me, especially R1 is my first bike. After many many nights (about 2 years) of research and discussions with few experts, the final day (abt 6 months ago) came to decide which bike to purchase...for the ultimate purpose: track. I've done enough research on almost all of 1 liter bikes out there and their weaknesses. It comes in as a top performer for handling, reliability, bullet-proof 5 valves/cylinder overbuilt Yamaha engine, and weight/hp/tq ratio. R1 weakness is the dip on 7K but few mods can be done to cure that....cheap mods! This dip have to be taken care first before tracking. Tracking with the 'dip' has frustrated racers and I don't want to find it out first hand.

I don't think you're guilty for the rant...I understand where you came from! I only wish you knew me a lot more and how much I push my bike to my limit so harsh opinion/assumption doesn't need to come out in the first place. No need to say sorry and I owe you a beer when we hang out!! :cheers:

You are correct, rider skill is the best "mod" for any sport bike.I'm not down playing the importantance rider skill.I belive like you,if you want your bike to go faster you need to learn to make it go faster.I think your under estimating the thrill of new power.

Rock, r u referring to the event like "oh..I can pass that piece-of-shit R1 when cornering over 80mph even when my g/f is on the back" :bow:

In this case, your bike limits your skill...hw about a liter bike for ya? you'll be unstoppable :thefinger:

Boy, this forum is a trip sometimes.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post on HP numbers, a bike having 3 or 4 more HP doesn't IMO make it a better bike unless it's the difference in a HP shootout and it is the winning difference. IMO, my GSX-R 750 was just as good if not better than my CBR1000RR. They remind me a lot of each other when riding, probably because the CBR is a lower-HP liter bike and I got lucky with my Gixxer because it put out about 5 more HP stock than other Gixxer 750s of the same year. I got a good one. The CBR puts out about 25 more HP but it weighs more as well, about 30 lb more. 132 vs 157.

I'd say yea, I'm guilty too of putting my money in the wrong place, the full system, Pwr Cmdr, etc., but my bike (the CBR) was anemic to begin with and now it's more to my liking. To be honest, though, I don't think the increase in noise was worth it. It's too easily heard by the cops and it is frankly annoying to me even by myself out in the country alone at times.

Next bike I'm gonna make sure it already has enough power (probably a Gixxer 1000) and put my money in gearing, 1 down 2 up immediately, and into the suspension. That should work.

Twincharge, you underestimate yourself. You're a fine rider and this is your first bike; you're ahead of the game, trust me. And what a bike to begin with, an LE R1. How many people have pictures of that bike on their walls all over the world? Ohlins, slipper clutch...sweet.

Any one leading the pack gets tired of it after a while and gets passed. That is reality at least from my perspective, and I've done thousands and thousands of miles in group riding. Rocky, Putty and Twincharge7, I've ridden with all ya'll (as they say down South) and you all are very good riders. Just because someone rides in front of you at times doesn't mean they're a better rider, and they may just take more chances than you do.

I mean, I go over one hill too many and can't stop when a car is backing out of a driveway I'll be HIS_TO_RY faster than I can type this sentence, whatever my skill level is. And that would be my fault and no on else.

Truth is, we all are lucky to ride what we have and street or track, good on ya for doing so. Now, if only I could afford a helicopter...)