License plates in pictures

redkow97

is there a compelling reason I'm not aware of to skew your license plate in pictures posted online?

If you're doing something illegal (like parked on the sidewalk in front of the rock hall), I get it, but I notice that some people black (or white) out their plate using MS paint when they post pics in 'for sale' threads and such.

If i can gather the information by following you, or seeing your bike in a parking lot, I fail to see how having it posted on the internet is any more 'dangerous.'

am I missing something?

is there a compelling reason I'm not aware of to skew your license plate in pictures posted online?

Sheer paranoia. Posting a pic of your plate online is no different than driving down the road with it exposed, I don't understand people either.

i also wondered the same, who gives shit... unless your completely secretive in your internet state and don't want anyone knowing your a douche bag in real life.

i can find the same info without your plate (but plates make it alot easier.) :)

I do it, usually, because I don't want to to put that info out there even more, the internet gets around more than my vehicle. Sure you could follow me and get my plate but I just try to limit exposure, and I'm not doing anything illegal.

On a side not, I make sure any pictures I post of firearms don't have the serial number showing. Simply because I don't trust big brother.

Of course the pictures I just posted of my bike have my plate showing, so you can see it's not a big deal to me.

i can find the same info without your plate (but plates make it alot easier.) :)

Its statements like that that lead to the paranoia cause you know as well as I do that YOU or I can't do shit with a plate number,

the only people that can are LEO's or security agencyies, PI's, that kind a stuff, not us average Joe's.

Yea, because none of us "Average Joes" know people that could do that for us....:rolleyes:

I'm in chevy's camp. It's public and if you were riding with me, you'd see it... but I don't need it rampantly around on the internet especially when you never know what keyboard warrior might take things a little too far and stalk you because they think the internet is serious business. I'd prefer to not make it any easier - the info is there for people that really want to dig for it.. but I'll consider that a 'cooling off' period before they'd do anything that would get someone hurt.

We're all adults on here, but some people don't act like them sometimes....

Yea, because none of us "Average Joes" know people that could do that for us....:rolleyes:

Looking up plate info for personal use is a big no-no and most people you know that "could" wouldn't do it for you even if you asked. If they valued their job anyway.

Looking up plate info for personal use is a big no-no and most people you know that "could" wouldn't do it for you even if you asked. If they valued their job anyway.

I won't go into details, but plate information isn't just used to find out who people are, it works both ways. There are also ways to find that out without LEOs or PI's.

It's a big no-no to do a lot of things too, doesn't stop people.

"It's only illegal if you get caught."

I agree with the first half of your statement, but it's just as illegal if you don't get caught; there just aren't any consequences.

49KAV

if anyone cares to 'play,' my signature tells you my name is Chris, and my info section shows that I live in Parma. I believe that's all the personal info I have listed on this site. Mods might be able to see more, based on parts of my profile that I don't display publicly.

so tell me something about myself that I wouldn't want others to know...

I'm not here to have a pissing contest, nor do i go around looking up peoples plates. People are paranoid, screw em. Lets all have a nice day.

The worst i've done was look up a plate of someone that cut me off and gave him a nice courtesy call. :)

You must love the cock' date=' since you carry special plates. :popcorn:[/quote']

??? I don't own vanity plates for any of my vehicles. That's my bike tag. I'll post a picture, if i can find one...

here ya go

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTIuanBn.jpg

(apologies for the reflective tape - my decal guy sent me roll-ends to do the striping for free, and that was the only white he had.)

Edited by redkow97

One concern I've held...were someone to gank the photo for, say, a fraudulent CL ad, the hassle of proving one's non-involvement is considerably more than simply editing out the plate number in the first place.

I found the same $29 site, but you'd end up with my name and address. You can get that out of a phone book. Or if you asked, I'd probably tell you...

coyote - suppose someone did 'steal' my pic above. what would this fraudulent ad look like? Unless they also stole my bike, I'm not sure how it would matter.

coyote - suppose someone did 'steal' my pic above. what would this fraudulent ad look like? Unless they also stole my bike, I'm not sure how it would matter.

"1997 EX500 FS in Chicago area. Send me a check for $500 will ship to your door" or something like that. They pop up all the time.

"1997 EX500 FS in Chicago area. Send me a check for $500 will ship to your door" or something like that. They pop up all the time.

Just had to say this, but....

IMHO - Whoever is actually enough of a moron to mail a $500 check somewhere and think they're actually gonna get a bike deserves to get scamed. I don't think something like that is really going to come back to you that easy, and even if does I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be any easy thing to get nailed for.

:dunno:

So? What about the cops doing 150mph on their bikes' date=' they new that was a big no-no too.

I won't go into details, but plate information isn't just used to find out who people are, it works both ways. There are also ways to find that out without LEOs or PI's.

It's only takes a minute to white out your plate. If doing that a million times stops a person from using my plate info in a way I don't like just one time, it was worth it to me.

You hear about facebook profiles that don't have the friends only security enabled and people list their full names, children's names and pix, work schedule. Just follow me around for a day and you could get all that information, doesn't mean I want to make it public for Mr. Robber or Mr. Sex Offender to have.

Ok, so how would I be implicated? it's my bike and my plate, but not my ad, not my address, and not my name on the check that was sent. Not my problem.

Exactly, and that's what you'd have convince the detective, when following a lead (like the plate # in the photo). Not saying it'd be all that dificult to prove, but I don't personally crave that kind of attention.

Just had to say this, but....

IMHO - Whoever is actually enough of a moron to mail a $500 check somewhere and think they're actually gonna get a bike deserves to get scamed. I don't think something like that is really going to come back to you that easy, and even if does I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be any easy thing to get nailed for.

:dunno:

I'm sure it happens though--more often than many of us would like to believe. If it's too good to be true...

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=36926&highlight=aprilia

Your wife's name is Melissa.

wrong - what about the plate suggests i'm even married? On this site, I don't make it a secret that I'm married. I've probably posted my wife's first name before anyway.