Almost forgot. Had my first near miss today.

redrocket04

With geting myself locked out of the house, I forgot to mention, or maybe just wouldn't have mentioned it at all, but I had my first near miss today.

I just left school, going north on High Street, a couple of blocks past Lane Ave. Guy pulls way up past stop sign on a side street, stopped, looked right at me, waited a half second for me to get a little closer, then pulled out.

I'm just glad it was dry pavement, new tires, and nobody behind me, or it could have been a bad day for me. Got next to the guy at the next traffic light, and he gave me a sheepish little wave. I was kinda surprised, usually I'm a VERY laid back, go with the flow kinda guy, but I was pissed.

F you, guy driving the black Trailblazer.

That's good that you made it through. I've had so many people pull out in front of me that I just expect it to happen. So I usually just throttle hard past the intersection before they have a chance to finally stop, look, and pull out, in front of me. Or if they're already there, I slow down, turn on my right turn signal, wait for them to pull out, and then go. And sometimes for the really big old cars where I see the white hair at about steering wheel level, I'll actually do a right turn and then a u-turn. Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I'll just do a little weaving to increase my visibility and hope for the best.

Oddly, I will weave also. It seems to attract attention. Also, I will aim right for the driver. That really gets attention. It tends to freeze people while they process the information their brain is sending them. Maybe it's something primal, about having an object come straight at you. I don't know for sure. But I'll do it to people turning left at intersections, to make sure they see me.

edit: btw, you really don't want to know how many people that are driving, have bad eyesight, or no depth perception, or aren't wearing their glasses, etc etc... They tend to hang around in the back of packs of cars, driving slower. Don't ask me how I know this...

Edited by ReconRat

The "near miss" term is used where I work alot. It makes me lol. "Be sure to report any near miss incidents" No shit jackass, if it's a near miss then you're prolly gonna need an ambulance and a tow truck. Just sayin...