Yay!!! Texting Ban: Columbus Begins Enforcement Today

CbrGirl

Well, you can have both hands on the wheel while talking to your passenger, right? For the most part people still hold their phone up to their ear while driving which eliminates one hand...and texting takes your eyes off the road , my guess, 33% of the time you're texting. I'm just saying that having a passenger in your car isn't the same.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, you can have both hands on the wheel while talking to your passenger, right? For the most part people still hold their phone up to their ear while driving which eliminates one hand...and texting takes your eyes off the road , my guess, 33% of the time you're texting. I'm just saying that having a passenger in your car isn't the same.

I have a manual, if you can shift and have both hands on the wheel then good job. Even when I can have both hands on the wheel I usually don't anymore (its not always of course), so that point is moot. I CAN have both hands on the wheel while talking to a passenger, but I don't. I might agree with the 33% (I also text fast though), I have never really thought about it that way. The way I think about it is: how many billboards do you read. It takes me the same amount of time for me, and my phone is usually next to the wheel/near the gauges briefly so I can at least see if something starts to go wrong instead of off to the side reading why I should buy new tires or not shake a baby or whatever. I highly doubt that everyone drives with hands at 10 and 2 (or is it 3-9 nowadays or something) and never looks at their passenger. I stand by my passanger simile, at the very least just for me, those I do drive with usually suck at it and fall into the problem category and don't pay attention so I offer to text for them. I do not agree with holding the phone to your face though, because then you cannot see part of the road/all your mirrors, not because both hands are not on the wheel.