The perversion of common sense continues

Fonzie

:rolleyes: My Gateway laptop I got last fall had a key pop off. Right bracket key, 2 over from the P

Simple fix right??

Not so fast my friend! Both Best Buy, & Gateway want me to send my whole computer in for 10-14 business days so they can fix it, as they don't send out individual keys or keyboards :wtf:

Stupid me thought they drop the key in an envelope, & I pop her in a couple days later.... Good to go :dunno:

No way am I parting with my laptop for a couple weeks for something so stupid :nono:

Did the key break or did it just pop off? I've put keys back on before, and I think there's an instructable on it. It's a pain but you can do it in a few minutes with some tweezers, not 2 weeks. If the key is broken, you can buy new sets on ebay, but they are $$$. If the mount is broken, then I would just use it until something more serious breaks.

1. go to Best Buy

2. find same/similar model laptop

3. make sure it has the key you need

4. .....

Fixed!

LOVE IT!! :lol:

ebay?

Yeah.... I was thinkin' that too

They have to have you send it in so they can put spyware and keyloggers on your machine to have remote access to the underage sheep nudez you have in your hidden system folders.

file.php?icon=sheep4.gif

Did the key break or did it just pop off? I've put keys back on before, and I think there's an instructable on it. It's a pain but you can do it in a few minutes with some tweezers, not 2 weeks. If the key is broken, you can buy new sets on ebay, but they are $$$. If the mount is broken, then I would just use it until something more serious breaks.

Apparently part of the mounting bracket is missing according to Geek Squad, which is why I was unable to pop it back on as is. I'm thinkin' the same thing about waiting 'til/if something more serious happens.... Like it gets dropped off the roof or into the bathtub or somfin

atleast it wasnt an important key..

Trufe

what the hell do you need that key for away? only time I've ever used it is in programming

I don't.... I just like to keep my stuff nice, & it bothers me everytime I see that hole in my keyboard.

Plus.... I wonder about debris getting down in there & causing problems later on

Keys don't stop debris from getting under them. The keyboard has a tray to keep nasty things from getting to the important bits on the inside. Can you still press the empty space and make the character?

Yeah.... I just hit the little rubber nipple that's there now :D

They will replace the whole keyboard. Should be one screw and a ribbon cable. The connection is a friction connection and easy to break. Should not be an issue for someone with common sense, but since that is rare, and they don't know you, it is reasonable for them to request it be sent in.

What I don't get is why they can't send the keyboard to Geek Squad and they do the swap while you wait.