my lowside at gingerman

Hoblick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im glad your still my friend howie

so when you gonna bring the 600RR out to a track day?

I was actually semi looking CL for a track bike after my MSF course. I need a lot more seat time though :)

I watched it a few times over myself, and it looks like you met the dip after just crossing that inside seam, and the seam seem to upset the front end ever so slightly. seemed like you had decent speed through there, but if the suspension unloaded across the seam then you got to the dip, your contact patch would have been gone. but I am only guessing from the view atop your tank. i am just glad you're ok.

Yeah, I just watched it several times over and this looks like the issue to me too. The combination of the bump over the seem followed immediately into the dip seems to be the main issue. It's possible he unconsciously tightened a little on the bars on the bump and effected the front end's ability to cope with the dip afterward, or maybe just the combo wasn't handled well by the suspension due to settings. Likely, it's a combination of a few of those things.

Yep. And at lean, the combination of even a couple of the most minute aspects would lead to that. I was watching the top of his fork tubes, and they just look like they would have had the wheel out of position to handle the dip. But it hapens so fast, its so hard to tell. I had a number of suspension upsets over the course of the day, and each was slightly different than the others. Hob's a good one, and shit like this happens to the guys who get paid on Sundays. I am sure mine is coming someday too, and I hope that like Hoblick, I'm there to tell the story the next day.

You were slightly off the throttle at the point of the dip. Same as trailing brake in that case. The dip might have accentuated the motion, but you rolled out slightly. Listen closely to the video and you can hear a bit of on and off the throttle...

Loaded the front and washed it out.

Trust me, the dip alone isn't going to cause it at that speed. Think about the carousel at Mid-Ohio. Much worse a dip and catches some guys as they brake or roll out right there. A lot of highsides, too with rolling on hard while the rear squashes...

Not calling you out, but that was throttle or slight brake there... Again, crank the volume and listen...

I also felt a little unsettled going through the same corner sometimes, the bike felt like it was moving around alot. The only solution was as smooth a line as possible, in position well before the turn, smooth on the throttle, and rolling pretty hard right after the bump.

Glad you're ok, saw the bike laying there for a couple laps but couldn't tell the extent of the damage.

Hey ill take any criticism .. from what I remember I was still on the gas some.. but what you said might be the case.. ill keep that in mind now. Just want to learn more and get better

Not a problem. The toughest thing for most riders is taking constructive criticism. The thing is that in most cases, it is rider error and not an issue with the track. If it was, there would have been a TON of people crashing there, right? So, that leaves it as an issue on the rider's part and solving that only makes you learn more.

Trust me, I make mistakes enough for everyone and I can only do better if i recognize the mistakes at once. I typically try and do segment work. Try working on three connected turns on one lap for about 3 laps total. Get those working and move to another series.

If you are behind me, you will see me shaking my head at times. I make mistakes and get pissed at myself and try and fix it the next lap. It's all a series of lessons.

Even the best make mistakes. They ALWAYS do. Look at Stoner with a 6 second lead. Made a mistake... Happens to everyone. It's how you take that mistake and learn from it that makes you better.

I'm with Brian on this one. I made a few throughout the day and you just make sure you know what happened so you can fix it. Oh and TRMN8TR the only thing different is seat time and how you end up reacting to the situation and even then it can end really bad.

If you are behind me, you will see me shaking my head at times. I make mistakes and get pissed at myself and try and fix it the next lap. It's all a series of lessons.

its not a matter of if, but when. and when we are behind you its a matter of whether or not we see you long enough as you fly by us like we're standing still to see this frustration of yours...

anyways, hob... i can't watch the vid right now, but does the racing line take you through the dip? i think i saw the carousel dip mentioned, a lot of N/I's will go right through that, but there is an alternate line that just glances on the edge of the dip. same with the keyhole, although thats more of just a drop than a dip. but its steeper along the inside line whereas if you double apex the keyhole you miss it entirely. point is, try a different line next time...

and i seriously need to get to another track...

If I had a dime for every time I shook my head after taking a bad mine or not 'doing it right', my track day would have been free. And I agree with r1, its comforting to know that we're not alone.

@Brian - good tip on the segment work. I found myself too many times throughout the day trying to decide how to attack all the things out there, and sometimes felt like it was too much to do in just one session for the whole track. Good advice for my next trip.

Shit man! I was yelling into my helmet trying to tell you the same damn thing riding behind you!

You actually rode behind him? I just passed and went around, sometimes he even waved me by. :D

By the way, thanks for the pics Rob.

You actually rode behind him? I just passed and went around, sometimes he even waved me by. :D

By the way, thanks for the pics Rob.

No problem. I had fun. Needs lot of practice/trackdays to be as fast as all you other ballers.

I didn't have much choice the first couple sessions. After that I was like "Get out of my way!" He should have stayed in our group, then he could have follow Tea around smackin' her ass before every corner. Damn pirate chicks. :rolleyes:

Edit: Damn bar licking pirate chicks.