Man faces jail for recording out of control cop

Casper

so cops can record us on their dash cam but we cant have a camera on our helmet and get pulled over......gheyyyy

The video isn't the issue, it's the audio. Regardless, I wonder if the cops are mic'd up in Maryland (that's where this happened right?) during regular traffic stops?

I've never been pulled over out-of-state (::knock knock:: ) but I would think the cops would have to say, "This traffic stop may be recorded for training purposes... Do you know why I pulled you over, sir?"

Why can't audio be recorded without consent in Maryland anyway? WTF are they trying to hide?

it's a side effect of the phone call tapping law. You can't record a phone conversation without consent from both parties.

it's a side effect of the phone call tapping law. You can't record a phone conversation without consent from both parties.

with an EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY. That's what this all boils down to, and why charging him under the wiretapping statute is completely redonkulous. You are on a public thoroughfare and in plain sight. You, therefore, have no expectation of privacy. I suspect the prosecutor bit off more they can chew on this, and this guy is going to get a small pile of money for wrongful prosecution.

Unless, of course, the Maryland statute doesn't care about expectation of privacy. In that case, and if the cops are indeed mic'd up on a traffic stop, I'd subpoena the dash cam of the marked cruiser and sue the city under the same statute.

I suspect the prosecutor bit off more they can chew on this, and this guy is going to get a small pile of money for wrongful prosecution.

Unless, of course, the Maryland statute doesn't care about expectation of privacy. In that case, and if the cops are indeed mic'd up on a traffic stop, I'd subpoena the dash cam of the marked cruiser and sue the city under the same statute.

Which is why this guy is probably being inundated with offers from ambulance chasing class action attorneys just chomping at the bit to take this case on contingency for him

Hell.... I had offers from Cleveland & cBus attorneys when I had my motorcycle accident 6 years ago