Advanced RiderCourse – Sportriding Techniques (ARC-ST)

chevysoldier

I did a quick search and didn't see any threads about this, only the BRC and ERC. Has anyone taken this? I am taking the ERC this Saturday and may think about taking this course as well.

http://www.motorcycle.ohio.gov/erc.htm

Are you a licensed/endorsed rider who feels comfortable with the handling of your motorcycle? Are you ready to challenge yourself, increase your skills, and learn to ride better? Then register for Motorcycle Ohio’s newest training course for endorsed riders: Advanced RiderCourse – Sportriding Techniques (ARC-ST).

This new 9-hour course will be offered on a limited basis during the 2010 training season in Columbus and Troy. It is designed for riders who already have their motorcycle endorsement, their own motorcycle, and over 1,000 miles of experience.

The cost of the course is $25 and is non-refundable unless canceled by the Wednesday before you are scheduled to take the course.

Based on the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Military SportBike RiderCourse, this one-day course is for licensed riders who desire to learn and practice more in-depth riding techniques. The class may be taken on any type of motorcycle (a sport bike is not required), and the overall aim is to provide rider development in the areas of risk management, decision-making, riding strategies, and rider behavior and choices.

The course consists of approximately 4 hours of classroom activities and 5 hours of riding. Classroom activities use small group discussions and interactive activities to address personal risk management strat egies; discuss options for cornering, braking and swerving; and improve visual perception to identify collision traps.

The eight on-cycle range exercises provide practice in cornering, braking and swerving:

1. Basic Control

2. Quick Stops

3. Stopping Demonstration

4. Curve Adjustments

5. Cornering and Swerving

6. Multiple Curves

7. Decreasing Radius Curves

8. Gap Analysis and Safety Margins

why can't the gov fund a class where we can safely practice doing sweet jumps?

lol, that would be nice. Then you'd know how to handle it when you accidently make a jump while out riding. Safety reasons of course.

how much do those cost? I know the intro class is cheap, but if the others are any more expensive, one trackday will teach you 10 times what those classes will...

VV

The cost of the course is $25 and is non-refundable unless canceled by the Wednesday before you are scheduled to take the course.

I took it last year as a pilot program. I am not sure if the brass at Motorcycle Ohio decided to run it a lot or plan ahead for it. If it's not on the MO schedule, it'll likely only show up as a fill-in this season. As a BRC instructor, I didn't plan on being challenged much, but it was fun. There were a few exercises that were plenty challenging. My instructors did a great job pairing up faster riders together and keeping slower bikes together as well. It was a $25 course; plan on running a tad longer than 9 hours unless they modified the curriculum. If you have already done lots of track days though, I doubt it'll teach you much. It will let you get to know your bike better under controlled circumstances. Keep looking for it, and enjoy!

I took it last year as a pilot program. I am not sure if the brass at Motorcycle Ohio decided to run it a lot or plan ahead for it. If it's not on the MO schedule, it'll likely only show up as a fill-in this season. As a BRC instructor, I didn't plan on being challenged much, but it was fun. There were a few exercises that were plenty challenging. My instructors did a great job pairing up faster riders together and keeping slower bikes together as well. It was a $25 course; plan on running a tad longer than 9 hours unless they modified the curriculum. If you have already done lots of track days though, I doubt it'll teach you much. It will let you get to know your bike better under controlled circumstances. Keep looking for it, and enjoy!

It's on the MO website schedule, for Columbus.