Note: don't stand under helicopters

ReconRat

What part of "you're standing too close" did these people not understand?

As well as understanding the concept --> "it's time to run".

People are stupid... what did they expect? This wasn't a little police chopper.

quote the lady at the end... "we almost went over there."

If everyone else including the police and firemen are behind you,

you may be doing it wrong...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4iw2-n-Uzc&feature=player_embedded

AP Associated Press

Marine aircraft mishap injures 10 at NYC park

NEW YORK — A U.S. Marine Corps aircraft's powerful propellers whipped up a wind that sent branches hurling off a tree and into a crowd of about 150 people watching a Memorial Day demonstration in a park, leaving 10 people with cuts and other minor injuries, officials and a witness said...

Edited by ReconRat

And the most excellent view, this one shows exactly what happened.

Twin vortices are generated by the dual blades, and you can visibly see debris pushed out ahead of the winds generated.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/31/new.york.fleetweek.accident/

click on the "click to play"

or

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/05/31/aircraft.marine.mishap.cnn

I'm confused. The marines know what this aircraft is capable of. It's isn't a new piece of equipment. The flight paths were probably figured out prior and police lines should have been kept so spectators were not put in danger.

I'm confused. The marines know what this aircraft is capable of. It's isn't a new piece of equipment. The flight paths were probably figured out prior and police lines should have been kept so spectators were not put in danger.

Yeah, thats some pretty shitty planning on the organizers part, I smell lawsuits.

Yeah' date=' thats some pretty shitty planning on the organizers part, I smell lawsuits.[/quote']

Oh yeah, great. Now we'll have full length warnings on the sides of military aircraft...

"Caution - proximity to aircraft operations may be hazardous to your health"

Edited by ReconRat

Oh yeah, great. Now we'll have full length warnings on the sides of military aircraft...

"Caution - proximity to aircraft operations may be hazardous to your health"

Yeah, because those danger signs work great now as it is.

extreme_sleeping_10.jpg

The articles seem to suggest otherwise, but when I heard about this on the radio this morning, they said the landing was un-planned. Or perhaps maybe their original landing location wasn't suitable for some reason?

Because you're right; the pilots and organizers of this sort of thing are normally VERY aware of this type of hazard. It's not like the Marines don't do air shows.

We had a life-flight chopper land at my elementary school when I was a kid, and the pilot made us all go inside. The entire school was standing around the parking lot, probably still 200' away, and the pilot refused to land until we were all in the building for fear that he'd kick up dust, gravel, etc, on the parking lot and pepper us. Even then, he landed on the soccer field instead. I remember, because I was pissed off that we couldn't see it land.

Tom' date=' how much "downforce" does a whirlybird that large have to create in order to get off the ground?[/quote']
wikipedia says max takeoff weight is 60,500lbs, sooo, it needs to produce an equal or greater amount of force in the "upward" direction to get off the ground.

2267.08 square feet under the rotors, with 60,500lbs load, would equal a downward pressure of about 26.6 pounds per square foot at the ground. Which is only a surface pressure increase of 0.185 psi. The maximum pressure differential in a tornado would be about +/- 10% of ambient, or +/- 1.47lbf. So this helicopter was about one eighth of a max tornado. Doesn't sound like much, but a little tornado could be about that much. (Note: this is enough force to knock a person down and send them tumbling.)

enginerd

Yes, Thank You

bush's fault

multi presidential faults. This V-22 project started back in the mid 80s.

Edited by ReconRat
one eighth, not one tenth...