Road Condition Warning - Messy Road

chesspatzer

I'm not sure which forum to use to post this but this seemed the most likely spot. <newbie>

Just want you to be aware of a bad road condition.

Route 180 South (West) of Route 33 has been resurfaced. This extends from Route 33 to the junction where 374 connects. This should be a short term problem.

The resurfacing material kicks up bits of tar or oil and makes a mess on windscreen, bike, and clothes. I tried for almost an hour to (gently) remove the tar from just my windscreen! My bike is black so I don't know what more has been done to it. It really takes some effort with mild soap and elbow grease to clean it.

After a while, after some weathering and other vehicle traffic, it will be a superb road. Nice and smooth. But for now, if you travel on it, be ready for some mess all over your bike and clothes.

This occurred on Thursday, June 17.

"and in other news" ... Route 2 in Cleveland's east shoreway, right before Dead Man's Curve, is all jacked up for resurfacing. The rumble strips are twice as high now. Lots of debris and dust.

I'm not sure which forum to use to post this but this seemed the most likely spot. <newbie>

Just want you to be aware of a bad road condition.

Route 180 South (West) of Route 33 has been resurfaced. This extends from Route 33 to the junction where 374 connects. This should be a short term problem.

The resurfacing material kicks up bits of tar or oil and makes a mess on windscreen, bike, and clothes. I tried for almost an hour to (gently) remove the tar from just my windscreen! My bike is black so I don't know what more has been done to it. It really takes some effort with mild soap and elbow grease to clean it.

After a while, after some weathering and other vehicle traffic, it will be a superb road. Nice and smooth. But for now, if you travel on it, be ready for some mess all over your bike and clothes.

This occurred on Thursday, June 17.

Try a little kerosene on the rag removes tar effortlessly and does not harm the surface just washes off

Try a little kerosene on the rag removes tar effortlessly and does not harm the surface just washes off

Are you sure about that? Surely you don't mean to use that on the windscreen??? Just on the bike paint and chrome surfaces? I'd be real worried about using it on the lexan (or whatever material) on the windscreen. Are you positive? Thanks.

It will not damage the paint or chrome I used to work at detail shop and we used to wipe down all the cars with kerosene and then wash before waxing them.... I use it on my bike all the time takes tar and grime right off.... I have not used on the windscreen.... I still have my stock screen next time I clean the bike I'll try it on the screen not sure if yours would be the same material.... you could check with Hoblick he does detailing and see what he recommends for removing tar from screen... I'll try it on my stock one and post up result

... I have not used on the windscreen.... I'll try it on my stock one and post up result

Thanks for replies. I think I remember a sticker on my new screen that cautioned against using "solvents" to clean it. I guess because it might soften or cloud up the screen.

"and in other news" ... Route 2 in Cleveland's east shoreway, right before Dead Man's Curve, is all jacked up for resurfacing. The rumble strips are twice as high now. Lots of debris and dust.

did they start that this week? I just took that last weekend and it seemed the same old thing to me

As if that wasn't bad enough right there. Shit now people are going to be scared to take their glass cars over them strips.

Thanks for replies. I think I remember a sticker on my new screen that cautioned against using "solvents" to clean it. I guess because it might soften or cloud up the screen.

Ironically I used a "solvent" to clean the goo off my wife's windscreen from THAT sticker on Saturday, used goo gone,

that didn't go over real well, clouded it up pretty good, got most of it off to where the clouding is not really noticable. :o [/lesson learned]