tracers?

kawi kid

First, tracers are illegal in Ohio. Generally speaking, they start fires. Whodathunk. edit: rephrasing this... not illegal to own and fire. But it is unlawful to use tracer ammunition on any division of wildlife owned, controlled, or administered property.

Second, I used to know the chemistry of tracers, and most of the chemicals needed are a bit unstable, difficult or dangerous to work with, and hard to buy. Meaning that you'd have to sign for them, if you could find them.

Tracers are a little bit of fireworks type chemicals packed into the butt of the bullet. There's a tiny amount of ignition type material over that to get it started. And a tiny amount of sealer type stuff to keep it there. The shape and ballistics of the tracer bullet isn't the same as a regular bullet. Meaning you generally can't just drill a hole in the base of the bullet.

If you look hard enough, you can buy real tracer bullets. One or two bucks each?

Also, tracers don't start lighting up till they are like, 50 to 100 yards away from your position. The best use for tracers (IMO) is for a sargent or leutenant to have only tracers loaded, and to use them to mark a target for everyone to fire at.

Odd factoid: Tracers don't travel the same ballistics as regular bullets. So pilots and gunners in WW2 would have to know that and compensate when firing. There's at least one case of a P-38 pilot that loaded nothing but tracers, and was hosing enemy fighters with fire (literally). He didn't have any trouble aiming.

Edited by ReconRat

XM856 for .223. (edit: 5.56mm, not .223, as Todd#43 pointed out) Easy enough to find, it's about 8.50-13.00 for a box of 20.

Quality will vary, it's rejected military ammo.

Edited by ReconRat

XM856 for .223. Easy enough to find, it's about 8.50-13.00 for a box of 20.

Quality will vary, it's rejected military ammo.

Actually, XM856 is 5.56 not .223. I've got about 100 rounds of it. $10.00 for a box of 20 at a gun show.

I figure if the shit hits the fan, I'll load every 5th round as a tracer.

Actually, XM856 is 5.56 not .223. I've got about 100 rounds of it. $10.00 for a box of 20 at a gun show.

I figure if the shit hits the fan, I'll load every 5th round as a tracer.

lol, quite true... shall we explain to everyone about those chamber pressures again?

Factoid: try not to use mil-spec ammo (.556) in civilian rifles of the single shot, lever action, and bolt action type. It's not good for them.

Factoid 2: some people on the internet say these tracers get their bullets hammered back into the shell casing.

Do not fire any round that the bullet has seated itself farther down into the case. It raises the pressures to an unsafe level.

Edited by ReconRat

lol, quite true... shall we explain to everyone about those chamber pressures again?

Factoid: try not to use mil-spec ammo (.556) in civilian rifles of the single shot, lever action, and bolt action type. It's not good for them.

Factoid 2: some people on the internet say these tracers get their bullets hammered back into the shell casing.

Do not fire any round that the bullet has seated itself farther down into the case. It raises the pressures to an unsafe level.

The 5.56 round shouldn't be used in any rifle chambered for the .223, civilian or military. Action type has NOTHING to do with it.

Interestingly, there is a new, improved 5.56 round that's starting to be shipped - the XM855A1 to replace the XM855. Supposedly its "environmentally friendly"

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/115897/us-army-begins-shipping-new-5.56mm-cartridge.html

Interestingly, there is a new, improved 5.56 round that's starting to be shipped - the XM855A1 to replace the XM855. Supposedly its "environmentally friendly"

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/article-view/release/115897/us-army-begins-shipping-new-5.56mm-cartridge.html

Sounds like the Marines got tired of waiting after several XM855A1 failures...

Army's Proposed New M855A1 to Use Solid Copper Bullet (It didn't use it)

U.S. Army Issues New M855A1 Ammo to Troops in Afghanistan

m855a101.jpg

m855a102.jpg