US DOJ suing Arizona over Immigration Bill, Mexico Joins suit

chevysoldier

Effing amazing. :nono:

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_15453256

The U.S. Department of Justice is suing Arizona over the state's new immigration law, known as S.B. 1070.

The long-expected lawsuit, filed Tuesday in the federal district court of Arizona, asks a judge to overturn the controversial law, which requires Arizona law-enforcement officers to check the immigration status of people they suspect might be in the country illegally.

Although opponents have questioned whether the law violates civil rights - many are concerned that police are more likely to be suspicious of Latinos and other non-whites - the suit mainly argues that the federal government, not any individual state, is responsible for enforcing immigration law.

Rep. Joe Baca, D-San Bernardino, called S.B. 1070 "un-American" and "a severe setback to our liberties."

"It's right for them to sue Arizona," Baca said. "Everybody must

follow the Constitution."

I guess the Constitution needs only be followed when it fits for your personal agenda.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/22/mexico-files-lawsuit-overturn-arizona-immigration-law/

Mexico on Tuesday asked a federal court in Arizona to declare the state's new immigration law unconstitutional, arguing that the country's own interests and its citizens' rights are at stake.

Eh' date=' this is what the courts are for. The Legislative and Executive Branches don't determine the constitutionality of a law. The Judicial Branch does. I'm for the challenge.[/quote']

Yes but... states have a lot of rights. Granted that Fed should determine rights of all or arbitration between, but sometimes states have to step up, when the fed fails.

What does need to happen, is Arizona should direct Mexico's interest over to Washington DC, where it belongs. Arizona won't be setting policy with Mexico.

• 3 weeks later...

The basis of the fedarl law suit is that the state has no right to impose immigration laws. If thats so then how does the federal government let the 30 some cities across the U.S. (SanFran being one of them) pass citie ordinances aloowing themsevles to called Sanctuary Cities? If they sue Arizona, then they should go after all the citites in the U.S. that are turning thier back on illegals. Those cities are in effect harboring criminals. Just my 2 cents.

How exactly does Mexico become a co-defendant or whatever, in a U.S court case?? :nono:

And gotta love some of Calderon's hypocritical comments about why he thinks it's OK for Mexico to be joining a U.S lawsuit to sue Arizona :rolleyes:

Edited by Fonzie

Eh' date=' this is what the courts are for. The Legislative and Executive Branches don't determine the constitutionality of a law. The Judicial Branch does. I'm for the challenge.[/quote']

And we're done here. Wait for the Judiciary.

Oh.. I'm not saying I think AZ is wrong. I'm just saying I don't care if the FedGov is suing. Well' date=' I do care.. but this is why we have the Judicial Branch.

AZ should line it's Mexican/American border with NatGuardsmen, armed with M4s, with orders to shoot anyone that doesn't stop when told to. Then, when the FedGov tries to cross into AZ, via another state, they should launch RPGs at their black SUVs.

SRSLY, Fuck the FedGov![/quote']

:goodpost: I'm with ya IP

The basis of the fedarl law suit is that the state has no right to impose immigration laws. If thats so then how does the federal government let the 30 some cities across the U.S. (SanFran being one of them) pass citie ordinances aloowing themsevles to called Sanctuary Cities? If they sue Arizona, then they should go after all the citites in the U.S. that are turning thier back on illegals. Those cities are in effect harboring criminals. Just my 2 cents.

It's not that the state has no right to impose immigration laws. It's that the Arizona law, in some cases, attempts to supersede federal immigration law.

For instance, under federal law, legal aliens must carry identification at all times. The penalty for not carrying your license is a fine. It's a minor misdemeanor, less serious than not wearing a helmet as a novice. However, in Arizona, if that legal alien has forgotten his wallet at home, and happens to be carrying a legal prescription of valium, or a firearm (Arizona allows non-citizens to obtain conceal permits, if they are residents), that minor infraction becomes a felony.

It should be noted that the hastily written law makes no exception for legal permits or prescriptions. So in this case, a legal alien becomes a felon because he changed his pants and forgot to transfer his wallet, effectively superseding federal law.

The Arizona law also requires law enforcement in Arizona to enforce federal law, something which individual states do not have the jurisdiction to do.