the 08 zx10

Casper

:nono:

The engineer's notes I reviewed indicate power at the crank is slightly lower in the low-end and mid-range, but equal to last year's bike at the rear wheel (through some sort of reduction in parasitic losses). Top-end power, as stated, is claimed to be substantially increased. Kawasaki says peak horsepower is now 181 versus 175 last year. With the aide of ram air, peak horsepower on the new ZX-10R is a claimed 192 versus 183 last year. The bike has gained 8 pounds (a claimed 394 dry). Mass centralization is improved, however, in part by the replacement of the high-mounted, twin exhaust mufflers (under the seat last year) with a single muffler located lower and closer to the center of gravity. Kawasaki uses secondary fuel injectors (that kick in at 6,000 rpm) for 2008, oval throttle bodies (for increased flow) and reshaped intake ports. Together with a higher lift cam profile, Kawasaki achieved the increase in top end power.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:nono:

The engineer's notes I reviewed indicate power at the crank is slightly lower in the low-end and mid-range, but equal to last year's bike at the rear wheel (through some sort of reduction in parasitic losses).

Parasitic used in engineers terms refers to a loss in output, reduced airflow, etc due to some type of mechanical or structural element.

For example. on an airplane, the rivets, antenna's etc are referred to as causing parasitic drag. Basically you have reduced airflow since these items have an influence on the structural aerodynamics but are still required.

When they say lower at the crank but higher at the rear wheel due to reduction in parasitic losses, that basically means that the bike has better aerodynamics. Primarily better at higher speeds then it does at lower speeds. before anyone says anything about airflow being the same at different speeds, DONT, you will be wrong.

I'm shaking my head at this...

"ZX-10R is a claimed 192 versus 183 last year".....Has nothing to do with what you quoted. I am not naive enough to think a new model bike is going to be slower.

Confused.. I was just stating what parasitic meant based on your post.

Parasitic used in engineers terms refers to a loss in output, reduced airflow, etc due to some type of mechanical or structural element.

For example. on an airplane, the rivets, antenna's etc are referred to as causing parasitic drag. Basically you have reduced airflow since these items have an influence on the structural aerodynamics but are still required.

When they say lower at the crank but higher at the rear wheel due to reduction in parasitic losses, that basically means that the bike has better aerodynamics. Primarily better at higher speeds then it does at lower speeds. before anyone says anything about airflow being the same at different speeds, DONT, you will be wrong.

No, that means the Bike loses less power between the Crank and the rear wheel. So it loses less power through the transmisson and Clutch not the aerodynamics.

With them measuring on a Dyno Aeros would have no play into any of those numbers.

Hell I had a road here in KY that was sweet except rough. I complained to Kawi and got them to Repave part of it. but now the main one here in KY is deteriorating too and they need to get on it.

Chris you just made me LITERALLY laugh out loud man. Good job. That was one funny post.

BTW, KY riding kicked ass! I've been across the river before and the roads where long and twisty. Honestly though I don't run into potholes much up here around Blanchester, Oregonia, Waynesville, etc.

Yeah the roads in Oregonia are good due to lack of travel. But the corner here corner there is just not enough.

I'll have to get you down to KY some next year, heck I didn't get down there till October of this year.

I love Wilmington Rd. and Oregonia Rd. I need to get back to 350 and see how much they changed the hills.

Yeah the roads in Oregonia are good due to lack of travel. But the corner here corner there is just not enough.

I'll have to get you down to KY some next year, heck I didn't get down there till October of this year.

I love Wilmington Rd. and Oregonia Rd. I need to get back to 350 and see how much they changed the hills.

350 at Ft. Ancient is the same. The road that crosses Ft. Ancient and goes in Blanchester is a nice road. Also some between Greene County, Clinton county, warren county are fun rides for this part of Ohio.

350 at Ft. Ancient is the same. The road that crosses Ft. Ancient and goes in Blanchester is a nice road. Also some between Greene County, Clinton county, warren county are fun rides for this part of Ohio.

they straightened a couple of the corners for the buses either this year but I think it was 2006 they did that.

I only live 20-25 minutes from 350. I just jump on 63 and take it to 123 then out.

Yeah most the ones in KY are by popularity with others

Rt 22

Rt 165

Rt 10

Rt 227 (the one I referred to being repaved) takes you into Georgetown KY

Rt 17 is pretty decent.

I think those are some of the roads. There is a video on Put-File of all of use on those roads. Set to Limp Bizkit. Not my choice of music but it was cool to watch. It was my 1st time on there so I couldn't get it too hard, don't want to crash. One thing I love about my regular routes is that I know them by heart and can fucking fly on them. New routes are fun, but you can't hit them hard when you're a new to the roads, ya know?

I will have to head to KY in '08 a few times. I wouldn't mind trailering with my buddy to show up there really fresh. We've talked about it a few times.

I think those are some of the roads. There is a video on Put-File of all of use on those roads. Set to Limp Bizkit. Not my choice of music but it was cool to watch. It was my 1st time on there so I couldn't get it too hard, don't want to crash. One thing I love about my regular routes is that I know them by heart and can fucking fly on them. New routes are fun, but you can't hit them hard when you're a new to the roads, ya know?

I will have to head to KY in '08 a few times. I wouldn't mind trailering with my buddy to show up there really fresh. We've talked about it a few times.

Heck with that, I'll just meet you somewhere off 75 and we can just ride down. the extra 30 minutes won't kill you. Not considering I have run 2 hours out to Hocking hills rode, then came back.

I still ain't touched knee down with the street 1k yet, but I need to make some geometry changes to it since right now it feels like shit in the corners.