Ghetto taillights

20thGix

I was wanting to put this in the how-to section but i cant start a new thread. So i will just ask and answer my own question.

So how can one make a single filament bulb run your running lamp and your stop lamp?

Easy.....just let me explain.

First you need to go to your local Radio Shack and go back to the electronic components section. Pick up a voltage regulator and a couple diodes. Also whatever lights you want to use. Pic below

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=11652

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=11651

Wire it up just like my professional looking windows paint diagram. I am using a 9 VDC voltage regulator and 2 diodes. To get the running lamp to work you need to lower the voltage to dim the light. So the regulator knocks the voltage from 12 to 9. The diodes are there to keep the current flowing in one direction. They are like a one way street for electric to pass. Also i need to drop the voltage (dim the light)a little more to get more of a contrast between running light and brake light. With diodes you also get a slight voltage loss. About 1.6 volts per diode. Putting me at about 5.8VDC There is a stripe on the diode its self that indicates the direction of flow.

So without the brake on 12 VDC goes into the reg., comes out 9, passes thru both diodes making both lights run on 5.8VDC.

Now when you hit the brake pedal 12VDC goes thru the switch into both lights making them "stop lamps" and the diodes stop the current from running 12 volts into the output side of the reg. Pic below

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=11649

So now that you have it all wired up here is what the running lamp will look like. pic belowpicture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=11653

Now for the "Brake lamp". One pic is garage lights off and the other is on.

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=11654

picture.php?albumid=681&pictureid=10886

All of my wiring is just roughed in. So that bird nest of wires is just temporary.

Parts list:

Lights: Beehive markerlights. 2 for $6.38 @ Advanced Auto

Voltage regulator: PN:LM7809C. $.70

Diodes: IN4001 50V-1A $1or$2 for both cant remember.

Wire: Scabbed from an old wiring harness FREE!

Personally i would just skip radio shack and just order from here. http://www.digikey.com/.

So there you go for under $10 you got your own custom taillights for your project.

Nice write up! I've used digikey for relays and they have some really good prices. I wonder how long those components will last though. Hmm. Will they burn out over time? should there be a fuse incorporated?

Nice write up! I've used digikey for relays and they have some really good prices. I wonder how long those components will last though. Hmm. Will they burn out over time? should there be a fuse incorporated?

How long they will last i dont know. Time will tell. As far as fuses everything is put in after the fuse block. I'm not running straight from the battery. At the pace this project bike is going they will last forever. Due to lack of use. I need to step my game up alittle.

Edited by 20thGix

Thanks for the info! With a little more work, you could even run your turn signals into those lights. Clean looking? Yes. Legal? not too sure

After further investigation about being legal..........No. I assumed i could just use hand signals. I will have to patch those in front and rear. All the parts for the signals were gutted when i got the bike. Except the actual lights.

After further investigation about being legal..........No. I assumed i could just use hand signals. I will have to patch those in front and rear. All the parts for the signals were gutted when i got the bike. Except the actual lights.

Ha! I know the feeling, you should have seen the wiring on my bike when I brought it home.