Thieves using skimmers on gas pumps

Casper

Attaching skimmers to the outside of the card readers has been done for a few years now. The fact that they are now showing up INSIDE the pump is scary as hell.

some brands of pumps arent hard to get into at all.....

well if its not a 24hr station it could happen off hours. :dunno: and if that happens alot of staions dont have a very good security camera system since they are pretty expensive... on that note CONTACT DETTY INSTALLATIONS FOR ALL YOU SECURITY NEEDS!!! :lol:

Edited by kawi kid

Theft of data can be done at the pump without even doing that. The card scanner signal leaks so badly, that electronic snooping gear in the van next to you can hear it, burn a card to match, and buy gas immediately.

Theft of data can be done at the pump without even doing that. The card scanner signal leaks so badly, that electronic snooping gear in the van next to you can hear it, burn a card to match, and buy gas immediately.

when ever you post it makes me want to go buy a tin foil hat and sit in my basement never to leave again.......... thanks buddy!!!

its the truth!!!!! tom should have written Revelations!

he's seen too many movies. how many times have the person at the register have trouble getting your card to work directly with the damn scanner? like a device is going to really work from a few feet away.

Attaching skimmers to the outside of the card readers has been done for a few years now. The fact that they are now showing up INSIDE the pump is scary as hell.

This is why I switched to using a "credit" card for everything instead of our "debit" card.

Credit card offers protection, someone gets your debit card info they can empty your bank accounts.

Remote reading a card scanner isn't easy. Skimming with an extra reader and blue tooth connection is super easy. So they do the easy.

The credit card offers the protection, but I'm not sure if the debit cards are even targets. I'm thinking that it is the credit cards that are targets. More money usually available on credit than debit, I suppose.

...I'm not sure if the debit cards are even targets. I'm thinking that it is the credit cards that are targets. More money usually available on credit than debit, I suppose.

I think its just the opposite. A person might have a $1000 credit limit on their Visa or MC but their Bank Debit card

can be tied to a checking and/or savings account with much more money in them than $1000.

It is true that banks do not secure debit cards like they do credit cards.

Both still depend on reporting the error and making a claim.

Credit cards are limited to $50 loss, if notified within 60 days.

Debit cards are limited to $50 loss, if notified within 2 days.

Debit cards are limited to $500 loss, if notified between 2 and 60 days.

Debit cards are wide open only if not reported within 60 days, and credit cards are the same.

A limit can be set on debit cards, just like credit cards.

I get the impression very few banks or people do that.

Also, some banks are way better at noticing and asking about transactions.

Make sure they have your current cell phone number so they can contact you.

At this point it's probably not making much of a difference, whether your debit or your credit card is scanned. The card transactions are currently about half credit and half debit, and increasing on the use of the debit cards. Mostly because it's cheaper for retailers if we use the debit, and retailers are pushing us that way. The PIN number is an additional safety measure, but not for long when attacked by technology. Neither can be used on-line without more information.

Unfortunately, the answer is to spend cash or checks. That combined with not using your cards as often, or along freeways, or in questionable places.

Also, I've noticed that in Florida, they always ask for identification to confirm the signature on your card. I suspect retails in Ohio are supposed to do that also, but skip it.

edit: oh, and snooping gear hidden in a van is old hat, and too hard for the average thief to set up and use. Don't worry about that, for a while... Current methods are way too easy, till those pumps get locked down better.

edit2: I just thought of those prepaid cards. I suppose that's the banking industry's lazy answer for the problems.

Edited by ReconRat

edit2: I just thought of those prepaid cards. I suppose that's the banking industry's lazy answer for the problems.

Thats not a bad idea. Just keep putting more on a prepaid. I already use a Speedway prepaid card for my gas cause I get a extra discount on top of my speedyrewards.