License Plate Question

jessecwalters

Just want to make sure this is correct, but you have to have a white light on your license plate right? Im working on eliminating my fender, and better safe then sorry, so thought id ask.

Yes

Disclaimer: I am not a LEO, or a lawyer.

My understanding is you have to have some sort of illumination on there. If the cop wants to be a dick, I believe he can write you a fix-it ticket (or a full out citation) if it's not there.

You do have to have some sort of illumination.

This was told to me by a cop the other day. If I wasn't with another cop riding I may have got a written warning or actual ticket.

Just because someone doesn't have a light doesn't mean it is legal.

ORC 4513.05 Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trackless trolley, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail light mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail light on the rearmost vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Forgot to add I am not a lawyer.

4513.05 Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.

(A) Every motor vehicle, trackless trolley, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail light mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail light on the rearmost vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate.

Amended by 128th General Assembly File No. 9, HB 1, § 101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Per O.R.C. - O.S.P. really likes this law FYI. Nuff Said

John

4513.05 Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.

Amended by 128th General Assembly File No. 9, HB 1, § 101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

Per O.R.C. - O.S.P. really likes this law FYI. Nuff Said

John

Beat ya. :D

Is there an echo in here?

haha i think so.

I originally asked because I thought I had seen some without those lights, but thought I read that you needed them, and I couldnt find a place to remount the one that was already on my bike (didnt want to have to buy anything :broke:). But I ended up figuring out a way and putting the light back up, just to be safe. I can post some pics of what i did if you guys want. Nothing special but it looks alot better i think.

I think you originally asked because you thought you had seen some without those lights, but thought you read that you needed them, and you couldnt find a place to remount the one that was already on your bike (you're cheap ). But you probably ended up figuring out a way and putting the light back up, just to be safe. You should post some pics of what you did. I bet it's nothing special but probably looks a lot better, I'd think.

I think you originally asked because you thought you had seen some without those lights, but thought you read that you needed them, and you couldnt find a place to remount the one that was already on your bike (you're cheap ). But you probably ended up figuring out a way and putting the light back up, just to be safe. You should post some pics of what you did. I bet it's nothing special but probably looks a lot better, I'd think.