Cops, activists prepare ahead of Ariz. law

chevysoldier

PHOENIX — The sheriff of Arizona's most populous county is making room in a vast outdoor jail and determined to round up illegal immigrants to fill it. Police from the U.S.-Mexico border to the Grand Canyon are getting last-minute training. And protests and marches are planned throughout Phoenix.

Arizona's new immigration law takes effect Thursday, creating a potentially volatile mix of police, illegal immigrants and thousands of activists, many planning to show up without identification as a show of solidarity.

At least one group plans to block access to federal offices, daring officers to ask them their immigration status.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38436995/ns/us_news-immigration_a_nation_divided/

I cant believe there are people out there that support illegal immigrants, that blows my mind. If I was asked to show proof of citizenship, I would have no problem at all. Whats one more document to hand over to the police from the license and registration that were all use to.

I read a good book recently. It was called 'Ted, White, and Blue" by Ted Nuegent. He has a chapter on immigration. He refuses to call them illegal alieans, he calls them what they are, Criminal aliens. They have violated a law of the land, yet otehrs protect them. He also says that these city councilmen in these so calle sanctuary cities should be thrown in jail for aiding and abeding (sp) these criminal alieans. I agree. THEY HVAVE BROKEN THE LAW PEOPLE, wake up.

I cant believe there are people out there that support illegal immigrants, that blows my mind. If I was asked to show proof of citizenship, I would have no problem at all. Whats one more document to hand over to the police from the license and registration that were all use to.

what's this one more document?

I hope the officers respond to their challenge, ask them, then arrest them. Plus if they block doors, isn't that a fire hazard to people already inside? They should be forced to move just on that premise :)

I was listening to the radio this morning and that is exactly what the Sheriff said he will do. They have been clearing jail cells and making room to detain everyone. Should be interesting.

Identification isn't necessary unless operating a motor vehicle. All you're required to give them is your first name and date of birth (or is it your address?). Anyway' date=' photo identification isn't a requirement in the state of Ohio for walking down the street. No proof of anything is required.[/quote']

http://flexyourrights.org/faq - ID section

When do I have to show police my ID?

This is a tricky issue. As a general principle, citizens who are minding their own business are not obligated to "show their papers" to police. In fact, there is no law requiring citizens to carry identification of any kind.

Nonetheless, carrying an ID is generally required if you’re driving a vehicle or a passenger on a commercial airline. These requirements have been upheld on the premise that individuals who prefer not to carry ID can choose not to drive or fly.

From here, ID laws only get more complicated. In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to disclose their identity to police when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as "stop-and-identify" statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.

As of 2008, 24 states had stop-and-identify laws. Regardless of your state's law, keep in mind that police can never compel you to identify yourself without reasonable suspicion to believe you're involved in criminal activity.

But how can you tell if an officer asking you to identify yourself has reasonable suspicion? Remember, police need reasonable suspicion to detain you. One way to tell if they have reasonable suspicion is to determine if you're free to go. You could do this by saying "Excuse me officer. Are you detaining me, or am I free to go?" If the officer says you’re free to go, leave immediately and refrain from answering any additional questions.

If you're detained, you'll have to decide whether withholding your identity is worth the possibility of arrest or a prolonged detention. In cases of mistaken identity, revealing who you are might help to resolve the situation quickly. On the other hand, if you're on parole in California, for example, revealing your identity could lead to a legal search. Knowing your state's laws can help you make the best choice.

Keep in mind that the officer's decision to detain you will not always hold up in court. Reasonable suspicion is a vague evidentiary standard, which lends itself to mistakes on the officer's part. If you're searched or arrested following an officer's ID request, always contact an attorney to discuss the incident and explore your legal options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmyE6_b_xJY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38436995/ns/us_news-immigration_a_nation_divided/

Judge rules to block provisions of Ariz. law

PHOENIX — A federal judge stepped into the fight over Arizona's immigration law at the last minute Wednesday, blocking the heart of the measure and defusing a confrontation between police and thousands of activists that had been building for months.

Coming just hours before the law was to take effect, the ruling isn't the end.

yup i figured you were all over that today? this is why we dont need activist judges legislating from the bench. ;)

why'd you figure I was all over it?

I think Arizona prepared themselves for all the harassment they knew they'd get from the fed gov't. No matter what happens, I bet Arizona will come out on top.

why'd you figure I was all over it?

I think Arizona prepared themselves for all the harassment they knew they'd get from the fed gov't. No matter what happens, I bet Arizona will come out on top.

i just assumed you had already heard and posted it up. im still trying to catch up on todays posts, i figured i would run across it eventually so i never posted up anything about it.

and i bet this one is going to end in the supreme court. hopefully with az on top

i just assumed you had already heard and posted it up. im still trying to catch up on todays posts, i figured i would run across it eventually so i never posted up anything about it.

and i bet this one is going to end in the supreme court. hopefully with az on top

Yeah, I heard it on the radio today. Figured there might be some people here who cared.

Sure. I'm required to tell them my first name' date=' but no identification is necessary. It is not illegal to not carry identification with you. If I don't have it, and they ask for it, and I'm not obligated to carry it... See what I'm getting at?[/quote']

yeah, but they will still arrest you on some other bullshit like obstruction or whatever they make up to make themselves look good.

Sure. I'm required to tell them my first name' date=' but no identification is necessary. It is not illegal to not carry identification with you. If I don't have it, and they ask for it, and I'm not obligated to carry it... See what I'm getting at?[/quote']

That's the problem with the Arizona law.

As a result of the law, you'll need to carry ID at all times if you do not wish to risk detention. This probably isn't a problem for white people, but could be a problem for legal immigrants.