Cleaning Carbs and Tuning

Jst2fst

Does anyone know how to clean and tune carbs. I have a 93 Katana GSX600F does not run due to sitting for an extended period and carbs are gunked up. I don't have a place to really fix this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure when you take them apart you do it slowly and pay attention. There are springs, ball bearings, o-rings and gaskets that may fall out. It sucks when you take one apart and a spring shoots a ball bearing across the room and all you here in the "ting". Lay the parts out in something like a cookie sheet, this will keep stuff from rolling away. Clean passages out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Before tearing them off the bike and trying to rebuild/clean them, run some Sea Foam through it first. You can get a can at Autozone or Advanced Auto. It's $10/can I think. It's saved me from having to clean carbs a few times.

If that doesn't work, send me a PM. I might be able to help out.

Casper's right, if you can keep them put together and clean them out, that would save you so much time and so many headaches.

Secondly, soaking them in something is also a good idea especially if rust is involved. If money is tight, lemon juice, vinegar, or a combination of the two works well. It's powerful so be careful

Lastly, you might be able to get away with just tearing down the bottoms of the carbs and cleaning the bowls, needles, jets, etc without having to completely disassemble each and every carb.