DIY Integrated Taillight

Casper

Taken from another website, which stole it from another website, etc....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I saw a post in the mods list for a DIY tail light, but when I looked it was complicated and the video was down. So I thought I would make one for cheap and post the how to.

To keep it simple, you can wire 2- 12 volt relays to your taillight to blink each side off. Each 1/2 of the stock taillight is 35 ohms, so if you turn one side off, you need to balence the circuit resistance to keep the voltage to each LED the same. Otherwise if you just split the thing in half, you will send too much voltage to each one and burn them out.

Materials:

* 2- 12 volt 5 wire relays. I used DEI 525T relays that can be had at Best Buy for $10 each. These are 40 amp relays and are way too big for this project.If you can find smaller ones, use them. They need to have 1 normally open and 1 normally closed connection.

* 2-35 ohm 1/2 watt resistors. Radio shack 271-1104 These are 33 ohm, close enough.- $1

* 2 Small ring terminals - $1

* Solder, heat shrink tube - $free I had this stuff already

Take your tail light off, and split it apart using a Dremel. Remove the LED assembly:

IMG_0683.jpg

Next, wire up both relays.

RED> SOLDER, Connect to the positive of the blinker.(Brown is left, Green is Right - Coordinate with the YELLOW wire connection)

BLACK> SOLDER, Connect to ground on the blinker (black)

YELLOW> SOLDER For the RIGHT side, connect the yellow to the BLACK wire in the tail light that was screwed to the LED plate. For the LEFT side, connect the yellow wire from relay 2 to the WHITE wire that was connected to the LED plate.

BROWN> SOLDER one 33 ohm resistor to each brown wire. Loop the other end. The looped end will land under one of the screws that holds the LED plate in the assembly.

ORANGE> Crimp a ring terminal on each orange wire.

You will get something like this:

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

Cut a V shape in the middle of the LED plate and back plate to give yourself room for wires.

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Here is a diagram of exactly how to connect each of the wires:

diagram.jpg

Here is what it looks like all put back together:

IMG_0693.jpg

Connect your blinker and tail light connections back:

IMG_0694.jpg

Test your blinkers. Then glue your tail light assembly back together and mount back on the bike. Trim all of the extra blinker brackets off and mount your license plate somewhere else.

All done!! I hope this helps someone else do the same mod.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0699.jpg

I like it but would be nice to have amber blinkers

if you keep an eye out you can find clear alternative integrated tails for the 600rr for $40, hell I got mine for $20 in great condition off a crashed bike