ShawnR hit a deer

ReconRat

Some of you might have caught the post about ShawnR hitting a deer, in the thread about motorcycles hitting deer up around Marysville. I realize he's new and not many of you know him yet. And it never showed up in the TV news or newspapers.

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=63647&highlight=deer

From Shawn:

That would be me.

Going around 50 & trooper said I split the deer in half. Woke up about 50 ft away faceup on the pavement. Don't remember shit but a blur of brown fur and hearing the fairing crunch. Lots of rash & surgery friday on both hands to pin bones together. Hip hurts like a mother, but X-ray said it isn"t broken. MRI on thursday to confirm. Jacket & gloves in the saddlebags doesn't help much.

I will post accident pics once I get them. Bike is in lots of little pieces.

Unfortunately we heard at work that the MRI showed hip and leg damage that I hear had to be operated on immediately. So the rumor is he went into surgery for that. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

He's going to be off his feet for a while I'm sure.

Hi all.

Surgery was yesterday with pins in both hands. Left hip hurt like hell so they ran me through an MRI. Hip isn't broken (according to doc), but hip socket, pelvis & tailbone all have fractures. No surgery for them, just keep weight of of them. Road rash is healing pretty quick.

I am still hoping to see pics of the accident scene. Trooper said the deer was ripped in half. I don't remember crap other than a flash of brown, hearing plastic crunching & waking up on pavement.

3.jpg

I honestly don't know that I would be able to enjoy riding again. Saying that I am paranoid about deer now would be an understatement. 2 in cages & this one. The wife says "hell no" about another bike.

Be careful guys, even if you aren't doing anything wrong, the furry little bastards can still try to kill you.

Surgery was yesterday with pins in both hands. Left hip hurt like hell so they ran me through an MRI. Hip isn't broken (according to doc), but hip socket, pelvis & tailbone all have fractures. No surgery for them, just keep weight of of them. Road rash is healing pretty quick.

Ok, that was way better than the rumors that were generated. Someone thought you would be getting surgery for the hip/pelvis.

• 2 weeks later...

This is from the point of impact. The green stuff if all deer crap.

6.jpg

The red spot on the blacktop in the lower right part of the picture is where I was laying.

5.jpg

The deer wasn't ripped in half like I was told, but it was pretty messed up.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

The deer looks pretty much cut in half to me. Errr.... you didn't happen to get a name and phone number of that lady firefighter for me, did you?

Tom, she is just going to tell you that "Nobody needs more than 1 motorcycle!"

Tom, she is just going to tell you that "Nobody needs more than 1 motorcycle!"

I've heard that. And I don't believe it. I'd like to see your bike striped down and fightered out. A weight reduction, sort of. Don't see many of those. (Or bobbed, bobbed is good.)

Sorry to hear about your accident. I had a letter to the editor in The Delaware Gazette regarding ODNR's inability to effectively handle the deer population. Did your accident occur during daylight hours or at night?

That was a good looking ST you had. I ride a black '91 ST myself.

Kill all forest rats! Bambi must die!