Bikers taunt bleeding cop?

NinjaNick

Interesting how there's no witnesses and no proof. It could be true or it could not be true. There is nothing but a wrecked squad car and the driver protecting himself with this story...OR, it could be true. :dunno:

I don't have anything to add other than this was on the homepage, which I thought was ironic.

Bikers taunt bleeding cop after wreck

A state trooper is cut off and intentionally wrecked, then taunted by bikers as he lay trapped, injured, and bleeding.

No dashcam thanks to budget cuts

Some comments were funny.

Posted by joe319 on Thursday, August 12, 2010 02:40 PM Pacific

I keep praying that one day, someone will sue the manufacturers of these bikes for making them too fast. Now that may sound silly but look what's happened over the years with big tobacco. Look how scared gun manufacturers got when lawsuits first started.

I was hoping that would be the case here in Florida a few years back when a trroper was killed when a tire blew out on his Camaro when he was going after a crotch rocket racing a Porsche on I-4. The biker was later caught and convicted of 2nd degree murder I had wished his widow would've gone after the manufacturer of that bike. Even if they are not successful, you would catch their attention just as fast as their bikes.

Interesting how there's no witnesses and no proof. It could be true or it could not be true. There is nothing but a wrecked squad car and the driver protecting himself with this story...OR, it could be true. :dunno:

Unfortunately, this type of incident is not uncommon. One of our officers was involved in a fatal accident and was trapped in his cruiser dying. However, instead of helping, the fine citizens of this city stole the badge from his chest along with the wallet and keys from his pocket. Even the "good" people who witnessed the incident and reported it to other officers didn't help the officer. And this all happened with no dash camera. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a very realistic possibility.

I don't find those comments that amusing...

A lot of them are made by cops or wanna-be cops and even if they're speaking from emotion, with their viewpoints, a lot of them shouldn't have a badge.

Saturation Patrol. Use the laws to the full extent. The Speed limit is 55 not 56 sir, I am writing you a ticket. Your expiration sticker is blocked that is another ticket, oh, this bike is an unsafe vehicle, I have to tow it. And stop the worst of the worst and pester the shi+ out of them and put word out why your doing this. I bet someone will "voluntarily" admit to it.
A motorcycle vs. 6000 lbs police car. They want to play with fire, then I say blacktop the roadway with the bikes.

This is probably one of the only reasonable comments I read:

Sounds like it is time for the department get some street bikes of their own. San Bernardino County in California had a similar problem. The Sheriff's Office purchased some bikes and sent a select few to motorcycle race school. When the bikers realized they lost the advantage they stopped running. Problem solved.

maybe this one too

I think if our Governments (Both Canadian and American) can find all this money to fight wars, pay for legal aid for these scumbags, and pay for all the "frivilous" lawsuits these scumbags dream up.....then they can afford to pay to put cameras in every Police car in Canada and the U.S. to protect our Officers and to make convicting the offenders as simple as possible!!

:stirpot:

the one comment says the bike an porsche were racing and the troopers tire blew not bikers fault the police department buys shitty rubber. This kind of publicity is what gives us safe riders a bad name, not to say I haven't broken the law occasionally on my bike, but always when there is no traffic or the road is wide open and clear of the guys with the lights ontop

then they can afford to pay to put cameras in every Police car in Canada and the U.S. to protect our Officers and to make convicting the offenders as simple as possible!!

if you have a camera in a car you cant pull people over for being black in a white neighborhood. cant beat someone up, cant plant evidence etc.

Unfortunately, this type of incident is not uncommon. One of our officers was involved in a fatal accident and was trapped in his cruiser dying. However, instead of helping, the fine citizens of this city stole the badge from his chest along with the wallet and keys from his pocket. Even the "good" people who witnessed the incident and reported it to other officers didn't help the officer. And this all happened with no dash camera. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a very realistic possibility.

when did this happen? i dont remember hearing about it?

laws suck! If this is true thats horrible. I would have helped him to a safe place then got out of there if i was on the run. i HATE when people say this is what gives bikes a bad name. FEAR by cagers is what gives bikes a bad name. No matter how good or bad we ride they will always think what we do is crazy.

This reads like a TV drama show.

Something just doesn't sound right to me.

:plus1:

"Dispatch this is unit xxx, in pursuit of two bikers...not sure what type of bikes they are on....can't see what they are wearing....I'm guessing they are male...I can't see the color of the bikes or their gear...can't make out a plate number...oh shit they made me wreck...they are laughing at me now...I think its two males....probably with some type of gear on...the bikes are loud, but not too loud....dispatch, is their anyone in today that can help me cover up my fuck up?!?...I think this biker bullshit will fly....did I say its sportbike riders or harley riders?..I mean whichever makes people more sympathic towards me"

It's not new, but just an illustration. This is just the link to the Officer Down Memorial page, and it doesn't list anything about it. I only learned about the robbery part of the story when I went to some in-service training about a month ago.

http://odmp.org/officer/14584-police-officer-martin-w.-yawarsky

:plus1:

"Dispatch this is unit xxx, in pursuit of two bikers...not sure what type of bikes they are on....can't see what they are wearing....I'm guessing they are male...I can't see the color of the bikes or their gear...can't make out a plate number...oh shit they made me wreck...they are laughing at me now...I think its two males....probably with some type of gear on...the bikes are loud, but not too loud....dispatch, is their anyone in today that can help me cover up my fuck up?!?...I think this biker bullshit will fly....did I say its sportbike riders or harley riders?..I mean whichever makes people more sympathic towards me"

Funny, I had almost this exact situation on Saturday night / Sunday morning (don't remember the time) minus the the pursuit and crash. I was in a parking lot turning around and was passed on N. High St. at about 3rd Ave. by 3 sport bikes going 80ish mph in a 25 mph zone. I aired the information but there was certainly no pursuit because WE can't (and I figured that natural selection will take care of them soon enough). The 3 bikes proceeded N/B on High St. up to the Taco Bell at 9th Ave. Had we not had a stabbing, shots fired, and a burglary at the exact time (with in 15 seconds), we would have had a talk. It is exactly these actions that give us (motorcycle riders) a bad name. And, if 3 three bikers were people from this forum and are reading this, you are F-ing idiots!

This kind of publicity is what gives us safe riders a bad name, not to say I haven't broken the law occasionally on my bike, but always when there is no traffic or the road is wide open and clear of the guys with the lights ontop

I bet the guys racing the Porsche say the same thing.

the fact is, when you're breaking the law, you're putting yourself and/or others at risk. I'd entertain an argument that putting yourself at risk shouldn't be illegal, but that doesn't change the fact that under these circumstances, it is.

This is old news...

There was a group of 30+ bikes going to a two wheel tuesday thing. The cop got ahead of the pack and was weaving back and forth across the interstate so no one could pass and also slowing down to a ridiculous pace. So two of the bikes shot around him and he took pursuit. This cop was looking for a chase and he got one. It's the cops fault he lost control. Other bikes in the same group were first on scene and called emergency to get the lying cop help. He went to the hospital with a concussion, obviously he made a few memory errors. Ironically not one of the motorcyclists has come forward with any video either.

They were probably doing some stunting on the interstate and that's what alerted the trooper to try to be mr big shot, but in the end he screwed up. Bikes were wrong, cop was stupid. Stupid hurts.

This is old news...

There was a group of 30+ bikes going to a two wheel tuesday thing. The cop got ahead of the pack and was weaving back and forth across the interstate so no one could pass and also slowing down to a ridiculous pace. So two of the bikes shot around him and he took pursuit. This cop was looking for a chase and he got one. It's the cops fault he lost control. Other bikes in the same group were first on scene and called emergency to get the lying cop help. He went to the hospital with a concussion, obviously he made a few memory errors. Ironically not one of the motorcyclists has come forward with any video either.

They were probably doing some stunting on the interstate and that's what alerted the trooper to try to be mr big shot, but in the end he screwed up. Bikes were wrong, cop was stupid. Stupid hurts.

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't sound like it was the cops fault. Had it happened the way that you described it, they could have edited/left off the beginning of the video with them stunting and only provided the part where the "cop was stupid". If does exist, the bikers would be more than happy to provide it to "prove" that the cop was wrong. And I say that I am sure that it would be given up just based on the comments posted by the members of this forum. Most of the vocal people on here and bikers in general are not very P.O. friendly (meaning that they are not big fans of the police). My question is, how was the officer being "Mr. Big Shot"? It sounds to me like he was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing. Protecting the public from dangerous motorists! As I said before, it is people and actions like this that give bikers a bad name!

I hate to tell you this, but it doesn't sound like it was the cops fault. Had it happened the way that you described it, they could have edited/left off the beginning of the video with them stunting and only provided the part where the "cop was stupid". If does exist, the bikers would be more than happy to provide it to "prove" that the cop was wrong. And I say that I am sure that it would be given up just based on the comments posted by the members of this forum. Most of the vocal people on here and bikers in general are not very P.O. friendly (meaning that they are not big fans of the police). My question is, how was the officer being "Mr. Big Shot"? It sounds to me like he was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing. Protecting the public from dangerous motorists! As I said before, it is people and actions like this that give bikers a bad name!

Wrong, you can't edit the video. Then it's tampering with evidence. That said a bike isn't going to incriminate themselves so there's no video comiing forward.

I understand you're a cop so you are looking at that POV first. What I don't understand is how wrecklessly weaving a cruiser car from one side of the road to the other in an attempt to slow traffic down to a 25-30 mph pace on a freeway is protecting the public. Also from what research I have done, he never turned his lights on until after the two bikes passed him. It was then that he hit the lights and began pursuit.

You mentioned it in a post previously, but what are the odds of a cruiser catching multiple motorcycles on a freeway? Maybe it would have been better to radio ahead or get a chopper in the air. His decision to pursue created an unneeded dangerous situation for the public.

My personal opinion, if you're gonna stunt find a parking lot. If you want to protect the public don't abuse your policing powers. In the end the motorcycle is going to look bad in either situation. That's why bikers don't like cops. No matter if it's their fault or ours we get the blame and the negative attention from the situation.

Finally if you stunt on public streets and get caught, take your lumps. I've been there and done that. It cost way more than I ever want to spend again.

off-topic wtf does the bike/porsche=florida tag have to do with anything. The incident happened in Washington state. Some dumbass from florida made a :snarky: comment totally unrelated to the article.

Edited by dustinsn3485

Wrong, you can't edit the video. Then it's tampering with evidence. That said a bike isn't going to incriminate themselves so there's no video comiing forward.

I understand you're a cop so you are looking at that POV first. What I don't understand is how wrecklessly weaving a cruiser car from one side of the road to the other in an attempt to slow traffic down to a 25-30 mph pace on a freeway is protecting the public. Also from what research I have done, he never turned his lights on until after the two bikes passed him. It was then that he hit the lights and began pursuit.

You mentioned it in a post previously, but what are the odds of a cruiser catching multiple motorcycles on a freeway? Maybe it would have been better to radio ahead or get a chopper in the air. His decision to pursue created an unneeded dangerous situation for the public.

My personal opinion, if you're gonna stunt find a parking lot. If you want to protect the public don't abuse your policing powers. In the end the motorcycle is going to look bad in either situation. That's why bikers don't like cops. No matter if it's their fault or ours we get the blame and the negative attention from the situation.

Finally if you stunt on public streets and get caught, take your lumps. I've been there and done that. It cost way more than I ever want to spend again.

off-topic wtf does the bike/porsche=florida tag have to do with anything. The incident happened in Washington state. Some dumbass from florida made a :snarky: comment totally unrelated to the article.

A couple of things. First, I must admit that I misread the part about who was weaving back and forth in the roadway. I read it as the bikers were weaving instead of the trooper. Second, thank you for having enough common sense to make the statement "take your lumps". That is something that I have always said and done. I have not always been the perfect driving angel that I am now and have taken my lumps more than once in my 20+ years of having a drivers license.

However, I do have to disagree about the chopper and radioing for other cars. It is a great idea in theory, but the Highway Patrol (in Ohio and I assume in Washington) are totally under staffed. Ohio Highway Patrol has a fleet of choppers, but they cover the entire state. I have never seen one flying anywhere other than in formation at an officer's funeral. And back up for the Highway Patrol is a long way off. They cover hundreds of square mile with (usually) no more than 5 troopers. Your back up may be a half an hour away even if they drive 100+mph to get to there. When an officer sees something that needs to be addressed, it needs to be addressed immediately. I am not saying that his actions were right or wrong because I wasn't there. You are correct however, I do give the officers the benefit of the doubt. Anyone that is willing to potentially die to save a total stranger, in my oppinion, deserves that much.

As far as the video goes, it certainly be left off. It is not any different than if a robbery takes place in a store. The detectives go and burn a copy of the video from whatever starting and ending point they want. If grandma buying Depends doesn't apply, you start burning after that portion of the video. If you are burning video of the incident, and the prior portion doesn't apply, it doesn't get copied. Who is to say that the video prior to that wasn't of your kid's birthday party or of your and your significant other having sex.

Sorry this response was so long.