JUST Ordered a netbook

ZIXXER9R

What OS does it run?

You *should* be able to share the internet connection fairly easily, unless Verizon does something to block tethering.

You might miss your cable internet if you do end up doing that, though. It seems snappy on a mobile unit, but for an extended period of time, 3G on a laptop is sucky.

well the netbook is for me to surf the web wife is taking over laptop for her scrapbooking just wants internet to be able to get idea's but I might just have her get tehter pro on her droid and run it that way we shall see

oh the netbook has windows 7 ,laptop vista home

Short answer - yes, you can tether.

BUT:

You <may> want to cancel that order.

You're gonna pay $39.95/month for only 250MB of data, or $59.99 for 5GB of data. Watch some Youtube or Hulu, and that 250MB will be done quickly.

You'd be better off sticking with cable, at probably the same monthly rate, with higher speeds and unlimited data.

A new netbook can be had starting at around $200, when you figure in 24 months of Verizon @ at least $40/month, that's another $880 you're paying. that $880 plus the initial cost of the Verizon netbook will pay for a nice netbook, or laptop if it doesn't have to be a netbook.

Short answer - yes, you can tether.

BUT:

You <may> want to cancel that order.

You're gonna pay $39.95/month for only 250MB of data, or $59.99 for 5GB of data. Watch some Youtube or Hulu, and that 250MB will be done quickly.

You'd be better off sticking with cable, at probably the same monthly rate, with higher speeds and unlimited data.

A new netbook can be had starting at around $200, when you figure in 24 months of Verizon @ at least $40/month, that's another $880 you're paying. that $880 plus the initial cost of the Verizon netbook will pay for a nice netbook, or laptop if it doesn't have to be a netbook.

Not to mention that unless you are staying in the one place where you get ridiculously good cell signal, your download/uploads will vary so much that it may make watching those youtube or hulu videos very frustrating.

I work for Verizon wireless retailer so the 5gb data plan on it only costs me $15.00/ month and my cable is $40.00/ month she will be streaming video on laptop via the tether with her droid the netbook if more for my work and some surfing but thank you for the advice. Plus when we move this winter we wont have to worry about getting new net when we get into new house which is 2000+ miles from here. and all they have there is cox.....

Edited by ZIXXER9R

I work for Verizon wireless retailer so the 5gb data plan on it only costs me $15.00/ month and my cable is $40.00/ month she will be streaming video on laptop via the tether with her droid the netbook if more for my work and some surfing but thank you for the advice. Plus when we move this winter we wont have to worry about getting new net when we get into new house which is 2000+ miles from here. and all they have there is cox.....

streaming video in a remote location from a smartphone? I don't see this ending well, in terms of usability as well as financially. You guys are going to plow through 5gig in no time with video streaming and other stuffs over a 1 month span. @ 170MB a day, you might not go over your ceiling for the month very often, but when you do it's going to hurt, employee or not. Hope it works out for you though.