A little help - inherited guns... what should I know about them?

will

So, my father passed away about a year ago. I've had these stored in my basement. I don't know much about guns. I do remember shooting the automatic Ruger when I was a kid, but that was quite a few years ago. Any thoughts on what I have. I know I need to do some research on gun care because a few of them are showing signs of neglect. what do you guys think? I'm having problems identifying what the Remington UMC's are (there are 2 of them).

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12321

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12322

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12323

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12324

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12325

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12326

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12327

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12328

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12329

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12330

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12331

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12332

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12333

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12334

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12335

picture.php?albumid=1132&pictureid=12336

I have a High Standard Sport King, longer barrel though. They aren't worth a whole lot but good .22 plinking/varmint guns. Mine is sentimental, belonged to my grandfather. Your's looks pretty rough. You need to clean them all up and put a light coat of oil on them.

Mine:

2r77xgz.jpg

What Chevy said, clean them real good and oil them. I would say check out gunbroker.com to see what they may be worth. If they have any sentimental value keep them after the cleaning. Here ya go. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_51

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=186395717

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=187019559

man this thread seems real familiar to one i posted last year...

http://www.ohio-riders.com/showthread.php?t=39015

*edit: anyone clicking the link to my gun thread, please know that all guns have been sold or taken care of.*

yeah, i read your thread with interest :)

I'm not planning on selling any of these. Just interested in personal use. My Father wanted my nephews to have some of the guns and I want to know more about them before I just give them to a 21 year old.

What cal. is the two model 51 remingtons? .32 or .380?
honestly, i dont know. I wasn't able to find any markings for cal. my nephew thought they were .380.

The two Remingtons don't look bad considering they are probably Model 51, and 75 to 90 years old. Maybe $275 to $500 each. .32cal worth more than .380cal. (patent dates 1920 and 1921 were the last model made, I think...)

Don't disassemble the Model 51 unless you know how to do so without damaging the grips.

The hi-standards can be tricky also, without bending the main spring on re assembly.

The Ruger is probably the early model, common and good for plinking.

All Colts are collectible, but the Police Positive was common.

The little Colt Junior .25 is nice (or .22cal short).

All Colts only go up in value over time.

edit: I just saw a Colt Junior 22 short for sale on internet for $550. Other Colt stuff listed is valued at approx 10x what it sold for back in the 70s and 80s.

Edited by ReconRat

The two Remingtons don't look bad considering they are probably Model 51, and 75 to 90 years old. Maybe $275 to $500 each. .32cal worth more than .380cal. (patent dates 1920 and 1921 were the last model made, I think...)

I've been researching the two remingtons today and it turns out I have a .32 and a .380! They were designed by John D. Pederson.

"Approximately 64,796 Model 51s were made: 54,518 in .380 caliber, and 10,278 in .32. The .380 wes designated the “Series of 1918.” The .32 version didn’t appear until 1921, and was designated the “Series of 1921.”

When I was researching my High Standard a while back I cam across this site. http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/226190.html. I posted up the s/n and he was able to give me this information:

shipped as a catalog number 9101 on 3/5/1955 to account number 8125 on invoice number 27803

If you post up some high quality, clear pictures he can give you an estimate of the value. I never did that because it's invaluable to me so it doesn't matter what someone says it's worth. Those High Standards have a soft spot with me.

I have a Remington 51, 32cal. Nice gun. Designed before it's time. Not very expensive. 3-450 range maybe Makes a nice compact carry gun.

Hang onto them. They might be more sought after in 20 years

The Ruger is an older one. I fondly remember shooting it with my father when I was young, and him recalling stories of shooting it with his father when he was young. :)

Then don't sell it, or you will be like me and wish I still had it.