2010 MotoGP @ Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Hailwood

My dad and I went to Indy for the MotoGP race again this year and had another great time. It's really cool being around the international series and seeing just how talented the top guys really are. There were also a ton of cool people and bikes all over town - The downtown event each night was awesome, and drew a huge crowd.

I spent quite a bit of time taking pictures. Indy isn't the friendliest track, but there are a couple of good spots you can either shoot through the fence, or find an opening.

Here are some of the better ones:

Valentino Rossi coming through T6:

988871092_vkq5W-X2.jpg

Ben Spies giving a mini shout-out to all the photogs. I'm really glad I was ready for this one:

988722441_D7Vpb-X2.jpg

Rossi leading Dovi from T2-3

988715039_itNus-X2.jpg

Jorge Lorenzo coming through T6

988727452_7MWUR-X2.jpg

Spies really cranked over through T4:

988710514_gxiV5-X2.jpg

Spies getting low again:

988730824_bYyaU-X2.jpg

Hayden coming into T10:

988677524_wgYF8-X2.jpg

Race winner Dani Pedrosa:

988725180_7m699-X2.jpg

Colin Edwards hard on the brakes before T10:

988674904_phXGC-X2.jpg

Edwards coming through T6:

988718390_NeSDA-X2.jpg

The weekend was considerably sobered by the death of USPGRU rider Peter Lenz who sustained critical injuries during the race warm-up.

Godspeed to you Peter:

988665131_XBpdN-X2.jpg

Some from downtown:

988689767_FTWy3-X2.jpg

988698114_nvCxL-X2.jpg

I saw quite a few bikes like this but this was definitely the nicest - it seemed like a new trend in Indy to take late 70's UJM's and give them this treatment. It was pretty cool.

988700080_boJCP-X2.jpg

988707528_XfiPE-X2.jpg

988696677_u2rbT-X2.jpg

Edited by Hailwood

Great pics. IMO this was the best of the first 3 years in all aspects. The racing was outstanding. I really enjoyed the Moto2 class, albeit they had some of them trying to win the race in turn 2.

What really surprised me was how Indianapolis turned up the level of support. Motorcycles on Meridian was great on Friday night but Saturday was unlike anything I had seen before. 7 city blocks lined on both sides and down the middle, all secondary side streets were the same for a block in each direction of Meridian. The circle at the center of town was lined on the inside and outside, as well as the streets that feed into the circle. Most of the bars had no cover charge for the first time.

I was glad to hear th contract was extended for next year after the race was over. I was reading that there was a chance that this was the last year during breakfast. Same weekend and already blocked off on the calendar.

Great pics. IMO this was the best of the first 3 years in all aspects. The racing was outstanding. I really enjoyed the Moto2 class, albeit they had some of them trying to win the race in turn 2.

What really surprised me was how Indianapolis turned up the level of support. Motorcycles on Meridian was great on Friday night but Saturday was unlike anything I had seen before. 7 city blocks lined on both sides and down the middle, all secondary side streets were the same for a block in each direction of Meridian. The circle at the center of town was lined on the inside and outside, as well as the streets that feed into the circle. Most of the bars had no cover charge for the first time.

I was glad to hear th contract was extended for next year after the race was over. I was reading that there was a chance that this was the last year during breakfast. Same weekend and already blocked off on the calendar.

I completely agree with you about Indy - they are truly committed to making this event great for all the fans all weekend long. Downtown was absolutely awesome. It was almost worth it just to be able to walk around and look at all those bikes.

Between the Motorcycles on Meridian, all the stuff they had going on @ the Speed Stage, and the Indy Mile, there were some really difficult choices to make about which event to attend.

I'll definitely be going back as long as they have the event there.

We actually got downtown this trip. The monument on the circle is massive. Didn't realize just how big it really was. We had the pleasure of having a beer with Rossi's mechanic, Alex Briggs, at the micro brewery. Awesome guy! & Thanks Kevin!