Holy Toledo

Guest MotoGP Tix

Guest MotoGP Tix

Hello, my name is Sonny.. I am the founder of ToledosportBikeRiders.com

www.TSBR.us for short..

Weve been at it 6 years now and have grown intot things I would have never even dreampt back then..

We are family friendly and have raised over 20,000 for local charities.

No dues, Huge Sponsored Budget, and WAY to busy for even our own good..

Our Offical track day this year is mon july 2nd all welcome..

Hope to one day run into some of you guys here..

10 pts to whoever knows what "Holy Toledo!" is from...

Die Hard 3

Nope, you're gay. Try again.

Technically I'm right! :badgrin:

"holy Toledo! - This exclamation of surprise refers to Toledo, Spain, which became one of the great centers of Christian culture after its liberation from the Moors in 1085. Its thirteenth-century Gothic cathedral, one of the largest in Europe, is the seat of the Cardinal Archbishop of Spain." "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977, 1988).

10 pts to whoever knows what "Holy Toledo!" is from...

Die Hard 3

Nope, you're gay. Try again.

Technically I'm right! :badgrin:

"holy Toledo! - This exclamation of surprise refers to Toledo, Spain, which became one of the great centers of Christian culture after its liberation from the Moors in 1085. Its thirteenth-century Gothic cathedral, one of the largest in Europe, is the seat of the Cardinal Archbishop of Spain." "Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins" by William and Mary Morris (HarperCollins, New York, 1977, 1988).

And for $10 million dollars......... YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN!!! WOOHOO!!!

No seriously, nobody knows for sure where the phrase originiated from:

"Holy Toledo!...How it all Began

The origin of the exclamation "Holy Toledo!" is the subject of much speculation. One suggestion is the name came about because of the heavy concentration of churches located on Collingwood Boulevard. The City of Toledo, Spain, after whom the American city is named, is often called "the Holy City of Toledo.

Other suggestions of origin, are not religious, but may be more likely. Holy Week has always been the worst week at the box office for show business; old-time vaudeville actors contended that any week in Toledo was Holy Week. Toledoans Joe E. Brown and Danny Thomas popularized the form as they became nationally known performers.

Another colorful possibility comes from a former policeman who joined the city police force in 1931. At that time, there was an alleged agreement between the police and underworld safecrackers (also known as box blowers and nitromen). Safecrackers would not be harassed if they would refrain from their activities in Toledo. Consequently, they could complete a job in Detroit, Cleveland or elsewhere and then retreat to Toledo - the "Holy Land."

A retired policeman said he first heard the expression as a small boy around 1911 when Billy Sunday preached at the Armory on Spielbush Avenue.

Others say that "Holy Toledo" was a sarcastic expression resulting from the high proportion of bars to churches. In the pre-World War I period, it was a standing joke that you could walk out of a church on one corner and enter a bar at the next. Regardless of the origin of the phrase, Toledo - with its many churches - has a rich religious heritage, and many of the churches have been instrumental in preserving ethnic communities. "

[/quote:0bd26]

However, I was looking for M*A*S*H. And the resturant is Tony Packos. Jamie Farr is from Toledo. He always said "holy Toledo" and talked about Tony Packos in the show M*A*S*H.