WTB or Trade for a 475# 7 inch spring

flounder

Ok so not sure why Im posting here since there are only 3-4 track guys on here but we will see anyway.

Im looking for a 475# 7 inch spring for a penske rear shock.

I have a 450# 7 inch spring that I am willing to trade with if interested.

:slap: just buy Lizard's track bike...I'm sure it has the right spring you need to shave 12 seconds off your time :burnout::burnout::burnout::flag:

Not going to buy the bike for a few reasons.

1. I dont have the money.

2. Its a built spec motor which for street riding I do not want to have to freshen up every so often.

3. Main reason - Not a good idea to buy motorized vehicles from friends just in case something happens.

I already have the new suspension components I wanted. I just need to swap the springs on the rear shock.

And for the record, he uses the exact spring Im looking for so I dont think that ones for sale...

Nope... I have a 450 which is too soft, I need a 475 which will be just right and a 500 would obviously be too stiff..

I appreciate you checking for me though.

I still say you could use the 450.

I used a 425 at 200lbs. I never got a good comparo to the 475 I put on after. Only time on it was Putnam and Mid-OH. But I did go faster on it so maybe it was better. But I think the forks refreshed with new and correct oil level was the biggest difference.

I still say you could use the 450.

I used a 425 at 200lbs. I never got a good comparo to the 475 I put on after. Only time on it was Putnam and Mid-OH. But I did go faster on it so maybe it was better. But I think the forks refreshed with new and correct oil level was the biggest difference.

Dude, a 450 spring is rated for somehwere between 140-175 pound rider. That's not enough spring for Flounder or you. At all...

475 is a 175-210 pound rider... I use a 475, but I am about 190lbs. Depending on how stiff you like the bike in the rear, you can step up, but that 450 is not enough....

Oh, and if you were using a 425, that's for 110-140 - certainly not even CLOSE to what you need...

Looks like the 02-600 by default wants just a slightly lighter spring then the 750.

http://www.traxxion.com/technical.shock.spring.chrt.shtml

That is the average rate that will come with a shock for that model. If you are a 120 lb rider, it works fine. If you are a 200 pound rider, you cannot expect to use the same rate spring as a 110 pound right, right?

Dude, a 450 spring is rated for somehwere between 140-175 pound rider. That's not enough spring for Flounder or you. At all...

475 is a 175-210 pound rider... I use a 475, but I am about 190lbs. Depending on how stiff you like the bike in the rear, you can step up, but that 450 is not enough....

Oh, and if you were using a 425, that's for 110-140 - certainly not even CLOSE to what you need...

Well then one of the guys LP Racer support program ain't got a clue. When I bought the Triple (I was shooting for 180lbs spring) the guys said the 425 was for 180-200.

Oh well I am probably not good enough to tell a difference anyway.

Well then one of the guys LP Racer support program ain't got a clue. When I bought the Triple (I was shooting for 180lbs spring) the guys said the 425 was for 180-200.

Oh well I am probably not good enough to tell a difference anyway.

425 is what probably comes on that shock as far as a default. I just looked at LP's catalog and the weights I described are pretty much in line with what they have listed... Maybe Aaron couldn't read that day...

425 is nowhere close to what you need - good or not good enough...

425 is what probably comes on that shock as far as a default. I just looked at LP's catalog and the weights I described are pretty much in line with what they have listed... Maybe Aaron couldn't read that day...

Slow fat person on a bike. can't help that.

You need to clarify your statement.. Obviously your talking about an Aaron at LP racing support..

I get enough shit on here as is.. no need for you to stir the pot.

go buy treadmill you fairy.. yeah thats right.. I saw that post... .....and.... COMMENTED.. :lol:

You need to clarify your statement.. Obviously your talking about an Aaron at LP racing support..

I get enough shit on here as is.. no need for you to stir the pot.

go buy treadmill you fairy.. yeah thats right.. I saw that post... .....and.... COMMENTED.. :lol:

Was that last one for me????

I am thinking of doing something faster to loose weight. Home Lipo... I have a shop vac.

Was that last one for me????

I am thinking of doing something faster to loose weight. Home Lipo... I have a shop vac.

No, not for you.. for the Lizard.. he has a thread on another board asking about buying a pink treadmill and which one is the prettiest.

is there a site that lists the spring that comes with the bike from the factory? maybe you can grab a spring off a factory shock and swap them out. I looked on racetech.com and it looks like a spring from a k6 600 is a spring rate of 9.5kg/mm and an k7 1000 is 10kg/mm you would have to do the conversion but I think these are around the weight you are looking for

Factory shocks are lighter then both you and I.. most bikes be default are set up for a 145-175 rider. setup for 165 if memory serves me.

Factory fork springs are light as well, however on the GSXR, they started putting heavier springs in 06

there website says our bikes (k4/k5 750) come with a 7.3kg/mm spring and is ideal for a 160 lb rider.

since the newer bikes have a longer swingarm they need increased spring rates to provide the same damping

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRateCalculation/dirtspring.asp?brand=Suzuki&yr=04-05&ml=GSX-R750&formuse=form1&SpringType=Shock

try this link it tells you the estimated spring rate you would need and then if you go bike by bike you can look at their stock spring rates and get the spring you need off of ebay cheap

there website says our bikes (k4/k5 750) come with a 7.3kg/mm spring and is ideal for a 160 lb rider.

since the newer bikes have a longer swingarm they need increased spring rates to provide the same damping

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/SpringRateCalculation/dirtspring.asp?brand=Suzuki&yr=04-05&ml=GSX-R750&formuse=form1&SpringType=Shock

try this link it tells you the estimated spring rate you would need and then if you go bike by bike you can look at their stock spring rates and get the spring you need off of ebay cheap

The spring rate also has to take in effect Swingarm angle, front bias, Rake and trail.

Where one bike a 450 could support 200 lbs on another bike with different Geometry 450 would only support 150 (example only).

I know the 01-05 the GSXRs for track you would raise the front end 5mm or so but raise the rear 10mm at a min.

06-07 and 08 more then likely to get ideal settings they are raising the front 5+ (as much as stock would allow, and some put fork extenders so they could raise it more) and only raising the rear 2-3 or less. My 06 1k race feels like the front end is higher then the rear, but still handles good.

The spring rate also has to take in effect Swingarm angle, front bias, Rake and trail.

Where one bike a 450 could support 200 lbs on another bike with different Geometry 450 would only support 150 (example only).

I know the 01-05 the GSXRs for track you would raise the front end 5mm or so but raise the rear 10mm at a min.

06-07 and 08 more then likely to get ideal settings they are raising the front 5+ (as much as stock would allow, and some put fork extenders so they could raise it more) and only raising the rear 2-3 or less. My 06 1k race feels like the front end is higher then the rear, but still handles good.

First, I was wrong on the spring rates. They are different from 00-03 600s and 750s vs. 04-05. The swingarm in the reasoning... But, for proper sag numbers, you sometimes need a stiffer spring. I thought you, Chris had an 04 600. I didn't remember you had an 01-03 model... That 425 would have been an ideal starting point for you. My bad. Sorry.

Second, the 04 and 05s need to be treated entirely different than the 00-03s. The 00-03 750s, for example, we cranked up the rears and dropped the fronts for best turn in, etc. The 04/05s, you try and keep the forks flush and lower the rears. It's different chasis geometry that is the issue. Plus, tires are different now as most of us were never running 190s on the 00-03 750s. Now, 190/55s are a norm.

It's also down to what we always have to say at the end - it is up to the desired effect EACH rider hopes to acheive. For example, Flounder will start his numbers based on my set-up. We are similar in weight, will be running the Michelins and have the similar suspension set-ups. Our bikes are the same year, as well.

However, what works for me isn't neccessarily what will work for him. I run a 475 rear spring. The rate chart for the 04/05 750s up to 210 with gear states a 450. That's the cusp of where we are at with gear. I still say run a 475, Flounder, but you could start out with that 450 and see what the sag numbers are and such.

However, you are most likely about 230ish with gear... That tips over that 450 rate.

I will put the 475 on there since I probably weight just a bit more then you and am trying to put on more weight in the gym.

I would assume you would want similar springs to support the same weight ranges in both the front and rear. Considering my forks have 1.0's instead of .95's, I would think that I would want a rear to come close to matching the front.

First, I was wrong on the spring rates. They are different from 00-03 600s and 750s vs. 04-05. The swingarm in the reasoning... But, for proper sag numbers, you sometimes need a stiffer spring. I thought you, Chris had an 04 600. I didn't remember you had an 01-03 model... That 425 would have been an ideal starting point for you. My bad. Sorry.

Second, the 04 and 05s need to be treated entirely different than the 00-03s. The 00-03 750s, for example, we cranked up the rears and dropped the fronts for best turn in, etc. The 04/05s, you try and keep the forks flush and lower the rears. It's different chasis geometry that is the issue. Plus, tires are different now as most of us were never running 190s on the 00-03 750s. Now, 190/55s are a norm.

It's also down to what we always have to say at the end - it is up to the desired effect EACH rider hopes to acheive. For example, Flounder will start his numbers based on my set-up. We are similar in weight, will be running the Michelins and have the similar suspension set-ups. Our bikes are the same year, as well.

However, what works for me isn't neccessarily what will work for him. I run a 475 rear spring. The rate chart for the 04/05 750s up to 210 with gear states a 450. That's the cusp of where we are at with gear. I still say run a 475, Flounder, but you could start out with that 450 and see what the sag numbers are and such.

However, you are most likely about 230ish with gear... That tips over that 450 rate.

I didn't think there was that big a geometry difference in the 04-05 models to my 03 as there was for 06 to 03.

I didn't think there was that big a geometry difference in the 04-05 models to my 03 as there was for 06 to 03.

06s are more closely set-up to the 04/05s... 04/05s are more in between if you know what I mean... Again, I think this is a newer generation tire deal than it is geaometry changes...

the 06s are a lot more distant to the 01s than the 05s are. You're correct about that. But, you don't want to set the 05 up like you would your 03... Of course, again, it is rider preference, but I went the way of the 02 I had and it was a bad move. Didn't work as well as the way the 05 should be set up. I have Jensen to thank for me getting it right. Well, Reuben too, but I got better feedback from Robert because he is on Michelins... Rub is definately one of the best I know, but the Pirelli (Before the newest race tire) had a less triangulated front tire. So, when i went to Pilot Races, the front is what was causing me issue.

I kept putting the ass end up higher to get it to turn better and all the while, I was having traction issues... Ask Drew - the rear was always moving around under load. He always knew because he would come in and tell me he could always see me shaking my head.