corn hole decals

that dude

Sign A Rama is a sponsor, I think. Checked with them?

Fastsigns, and it is my employer.

as long as he doesn't mass produce he's fine for this personal use.

not saying its legal, but nothing to be concerned about.

hes not selling for a profit. relax people

Doesn't matter if he is selling them or not, it is still breaking copyright/ licensing laws.

The person making the decals is selling them, right? If someone is selling a a reproduction of a logo unauthorized it is illegal. Not sure how the laws work if you hand painted them.

But wait this is a stupid law right, you don't have to obey it?

Well think about this:

Is OSU going to to miss a few dollars? No. But they are notorious for prosecuting copyright offenders, they are large customer of mine, trust me.

The person you hurt is people like me. I am a designer not making much money. I don't even put work on the internet anymore because I am so sick of people stealing my shit.

Just because it's there to use doesn't mean you can.

I do not reproduce anything that is copyrighted. It is illegal, unethical, and to me is the same as if you stole money directly out of my wallet.

If you want OSU decals, go the Buckeye Store and get them. They are an authorized reseller.

Curby, if you are going to do work, your choice, but I would have this thread deleted. There are people that scour the internet looking for copyright violations and licensing issues. The guys selling on ebay are probably overseas and don't care, but of course they will come after the little guy doing something personal.

It would be your shop that would pay the fine, not the buyer.

Not sure how ardent OSU is about it, I do know NFL is the worst. I believe they have a department whose sole job is to find people using NFL properties with paying the license fees. Auto makers are pretty bad about it too unless they are vintage.

Curby, if you are going to do work, your choice, but I would have this thread deleted. There are people that scour the internet looking for copyright violations and licensing issues. The guys selling on ebay are probably overseas and don't care, but of course they will come after the little guy doing something personal.

It would be your shop that would pay the fine, not the buyer.

Not sure how ardent OSU is about it, I do know NFL is the worst. I believe they have a department whose sole job is to find people using NFL properties with paying the license fees. Auto makers are pretty bad about it too unless they are vintage.

actually most are here in the states. no way in hell are any big name companys or teams universitys etc gonna go after a guy who simply made a couple decals. im calling bullshit. i could see if they were selling thousands, tens of thousands, not a few. its funny cause all legit shops around my area said no problem, or bring in the jpeg. art- you really sound like a fool and like you are butthurt for some odd reason. id have to bet and say most shit online isnt licensed or an authorized seller. better call the companies art to report fraud :cry:

actually most are here in the states. no way in hell are any big name companys or teams universitys etc gonna go after a guy who simply made a couple decals. im calling bullshit. i could see if they were selling thousands, tens of thousands, not a few. its funny cause all legit shops around my area said no problem, or bring in the jpeg. art- you really sound like a fool and like you are butthurt for some odd reason. id have to bet and say most shit online isnt licensed or an authorized seller. better call the companies art to report fraud :cry:

Sorry, I forgot you were a copyright lawyer. Oh wait you're not, neither am I. I am just informed of the legal obligations I have in the field that have worked in for over 10 years.

I would think the fact there are copyright lawyers should tell you that companies are not going to fuck around with their image.

I've seen it happen, jackass. I also deal with this shit every day.

I deal with the OSU Athletic Dept. at least two or three times a month. I know how protective they are of the Block O and any other OSU items.

Actually the bigger the company, the more likely they are to persue someone. They spend millions building an image, they want control over how it protected. Large companies, particularly sports teams have the resources to do so.

I don't really care what you do. I'm stating a fact that if you buy or sell something that is copyrighted without the permission or rights to do so, you are breaking a law.

I also said that no, I doubt they would come after you. In the very small chance they they come after anyone, it would be the the shop that sold them to you. I know it won't be mine.

If you want to steal, I don't care what you do in your personal life, as long as it's not my shit.

Maybe the ebay companies are authorized resellers, I don't know.

Sorry, I forgot you were a copyright lawyer. Oh wait you're not, neither am I. I am just informed of the legal obligations I have in the field that have worked in for over 10 years.

I would think the fact there are copyright lawyers should tell you that companies are not going to fuck around with their image.

I've seen it happen, jackass. I also deal with this shit every day.

I deal with the OSU Athletic Dept. at least two or three times a month. I know how protective they are of the Block O and any other OSU items.

Actually the bigger the company, the more likely they are to persue someone. They spend millions building an image, they want control over how it protected. Large companies, particularly sports teams have the resources to do so.

I don't really care what you do. I'm stating a fact that if you buy or sell something that is copyrighted without the permission or rights to do so, you are breaking a law.

I also said that no, I doubt they would come after you. In the very small chance they they come after anyone, it would be the the shop that sold them to you. I know it won't be mine.

If you want to steal, I don't care what you do in your personal life, as long as it's not my shit.

Maybe the ebay companies are authorized resellers, I don't know.

what if i make a donation mr.jackass? what if no money is involved for the transactions. :cry:

what if i make a donation mr.jackass? what if no money is involved for the transactions. :cry:

I don't really know. Make a donation to who? OSU?

I don't think it matters if it's for profit or not.

I don't know about the gray area of self made items or something that is hand-painted.

I know you are willing to pay for them, so why not just use an authorized reseller to avoid any issues? It is quite possible the ebay users are, or got their supply from one. I believe royalties only need to be paid once.

I know people make OSU cornhole all of the time with no repercussions. I think they are handpainted items though, I don't thik they are going to a sign shop and buying the decals.

Look at this way:

You have a daughter. You know she's going to have sex. You want it to be with a nice guy that is going to treat her well and marry her.

At the same time, you realize there is a chance the football team is gang-banging her. You pretend it is not happening, but if you do find out, you are going for blood.

OSU is the father. The logo is the daughter. The nice marrying guy is an authorized reseller. The pedobear gang-banger is the guying selling crap not licensed and made overseas.

They just want to protect how their baby is handled, and make sure they get a cut of the cash too.

Why do you think curby is having a hard time finding the logo? The same people that are looking for copyright violations are also looking for people that post quality artwork without permission. They want to make sure only the people that are allowed to use it have access to it.

• Upvote 1

@Art: Odd way to make a point with the whole football team/pedobear thing, but somehow it got the point across. :dunno:

@td: Tell your buddy to buy a decal for a buck (no pun intended) at the store.

Seems it would cost a lot more to have a shop do a low production run than to just buy something pre-made (and legal).

Question for Art, sort of related:

So I want to get the decals (logo and name) on my 85 Honda airbrushed, or duplicated, since the originals are going to have to be taken off to straighten the tank out, and OE decals are pretty much not available. Is that something a shop like where you work would be able to do, or would it still be copyright thing?

Question for Art, sort of related:

So I want to get the decals (logo and name) on my 85 Honda airbrushed, or duplicated, since the originals are going to have to be taken off to straighten the tank out, and OE decals are pretty much not available. Is that something a shop like where you work would be able to do, or would it still be copyright thing?

id go elsewhere, he seems like a jack off. most shops will duplicate or replicate

:nono: I have to disagree with you. Art is a pretty good guy, and very talented. He just happened to know more about what you were asking than you were wanting to hear.

i agree its copyright infringment yadda yadda... but they are not gonna pursue a shop or someone making a few decals. period. he may be a good guy in person. bottom line is there is no bottom line.