Chevy Colorado Z71

Monstrosity

right now im using a relatives Colorado since im down to one arm and need an automatic. prior to driving it i didnt care much for the trucks. i heard bad things about the isuzu motor and reliability issues. Whats your take? i dont like the fact its 4wd for the sole reason of its more shit to break and maintenance. other than that its loaded oem mud flaps, tonnou cover, tubular step bars, etc.

I'd rather have an S10, or a fullsize -- but I wouldn't be opposed to a Colorado.

Is that the 3.7L I5?

i have a 94 s-10 that i liked till around 185k when i had to rebuild the t5, replace the heater core, brake master, lines down to the rotors & drums, exhaust manifold on back, starter, fuel tank & pump, ill stop their... point its time to get a newer more reliable daily driver. id rather a full size as well, however this was my grandpas truck who recently passed. i could probably get a helluva deal from grandma.

i think it does have the i5

I was going to give you hell for going after a GM' date=' but second hand is allowable. Personally, I like the trucks, but have heard the I-5 lacks in the "Grunt Dept". :dunno:[/quote']

lol, id love a Tacoma but every one I've looked at has been beat to shit or too much $$$$ for my tastes.

I've owned about 5 GMs in the last 10 years, including 2 trucks. Every one has been a money pit after 30-60 thousand miles. My S-10 made it to 86,000 before I parked it. The full size needs a new rear end, transmission, wheel bearings, brakes, and a bunch of other stuff, so it is currently a driveway ornament at 105000. We bought a Toyota this time. Even with the instant automatic acceleration feature, it has been dead reliable for 50K miles and runs and feels just like the day we bought it. It all depends on what you want. Do you want a vehicle you love and love to work on, or do you want something that is boring and appliance-like and gets you there every time. I'm sick of working on cars.

I've owned about 5 GMs in the last 10 years, including 2 trucks. Every one has been a money pit after 30-60 thousand miles. My S-10 made it to 86,000 before I parked it. The full size needs a new rear end, transmission, wheel bearings, brakes, and a bunch of other stuff, so it is currently a driveway ornament at 105000. We bought a Toyota this time. Even with the instant automatic acceleration feature, it has been dead reliable for 50K miles and runs and feels just like the day we bought it. It all depends on what you want. Do you want a vehicle you love and love to work on, or do you want something that is boring and appliance-like and gets you there every time. I'm sick of working on cars.

your last line says it all... im mechanically inclined but would rather work on the house or a toy! Still if the deals right I have a hard time walking away... Guess I'll wait to see what grandma hits me with dollar wise.

I've had 3 Chevy's over the last 12 years. One I bought for $800 and only got rid of it because the wife wanted a van with sliding doors on both sides. The other one I got for $500, had it for 4 years, and sold it for $500 to get the money to buy a newer one with air conditioning. All three had 4.3L and over 150, 000 miles when I bought them, and I never had any trouble with them. Regular maintenance.

I was going to give you hell for going after a GM' date=' but second hand is allowable. Personally, I like the trucks, but have heard the I-5 lacks in the "Grunt Dept". :dunno:[/quote']

i owned a Colorado ZQ8 (lowered with 17's stock). nice truck. It did have a good amount of grunt.

the truck was very nice!

I had an 04 Colorado Z71 for 5 years when I got rid of it (105k miles). Had the I5 auto engine and middle of the road options, and yeah..I was less then kind to it also. Went fine with only minor issues (mostly warranty/recall stuff) till about 90k miles. Then the speed-wheel sensor went out on the front right tire which causes the ABS to kick off. The only fix for this....is the replace the whole wheel hub. Dad and I fixed this for about $250 (gm-parts direct) and in 5 hours. Shop wanted near $800 to do it.

As a subnote, for those considering colys...the front rotors are part of the wheel hub. So to change the rotors you have to take the hub off each wheel...which is less then fun. I changed the rotor out when i had to replace the hub asmby, but only because I had it off then....or I probably would have waited a bit longer.

Edited by SJC1000rr