Shiver or Monster?

LINK

Just wondering what you guys think of the Aprilia Shiver or the Ducati Monster?

I would like to get another V bike when the Buell stuff is settled.

Any other thoughts on a second bike to go with the Z1000 is more than welcome.

What would you buy to go with the Z, even if it is not a V?

Keep in mind I am not well off, I work for a living, please be reasonable.

Thanks for your input!

I'm very torn between the Shiver and the Monster. On one hand, the resale value on Aprilias is shit. So you can jump into a newer, lower mileage Shiver for less than the Monster. On the other hand, the monster has been out for years, so Ducati has had the time to work out any "bugs in the software" so to speak. The Duc will require a tiny bit more maintenance than the Ape due to drive belts, etc.

I'd say just test ride both and see which one feels better. Then after you have a feel for both start looking at price and pros/cons between the two.

Get a V bike.

What displacement are you looking at?

Not real sure, I have not owned a smaller displacement motorcycle in a very long time, 20 years plus.

A smaller displacement would suit me fine with my riding, but it seems I always go to the bigger bikes for some reason.

I have some time, so I am just starting to look at all my options.

The new Tuono rumor is, they are getting the same engine as the RSV, and some new and improved updates, waiting to see if this is true.

I have been looking hard at the Monster 1100, plenty of used smaller Monsters for sale, not so much for the 1100.

I'm very torn between the Shiver and the Monster. On one hand, the resale value on Aprilias is shit. So you can jump into a newer, lower mileage Shiver for less than the Monster. On the other hand, the monster has been out for years, so Ducati has had the time to work out any "bugs in the software" so to speak. The Duc will require a tiny bit more maintenance than the Ape due to drive belts, etc.

I'd say just test ride both and see which one feels better. Then after you have a feel for both start looking at price and pros/cons between the two.

Get a V bike.

I love my monster. Never ridden a shiver. Why not look at a Tuono? I've ridden one of those and can say I also love the tuono. I also love the KTM 990 superduke. Another great V bike.

What year monster are you looking at. You can buy an S2R1000 or an S4Rs at very reasonable prices these days, usually with an exhaust.

The bigger Monster is the one I'd go for' date=' just for the "go fast" goodies. (brakes, suspension, etc.) The little Monsters are great, and there is one in my garage, but I have to put my vote in for the big one. Also, if you aren't dead set on a brand new ride there are lots of deals to be had...no matter what route you take.[/quote']

That is exactly why I bought an S2R1000. I was looking at the S2R at the time which is 800cc. The thing that sold me is 4 piston brakes, fully adjustable forks and the dry clutch. It's a ducati, you gotta have the dry clutch if you can get it.

I don't really like the look of the new monsters. If it was me. S2R1000 for air cooled, S4Rs for water cooled, or just go get a streetfighter. :)