Scorpion EXO-400/700/1000 Twist Grip Replacement

RSparky

Scorpion EXO-400/700/1000 Twist Grip Replacement

Alrighty, I recently purchased a set of matching twist grips. Yah, so what if I want to look cool? The simple fact that I ride a motorcycle isn't cool enough for me. Anyway, I went to put them on, but to my dismay, NO INSTRUCTIONS! I don't know about you, but I don't mind tinkering with things. Even so, this helmet is one of my more costly, and important investments, so I was a little put off by Scorpion's lack of instructions. But, don't worry people, that's why I'm writing this! Plus, it's really easy and I want to feel productive today.

1. Take off your visor. If you have never done so, It's really not that hard. Open it all the way to the top, to that the arrows on the visor align with those on the helmet. Then, twist your grips! It helps to pull them forward while twisting. That allows the stop on the visor to dislodge from the nook next to the aforementioned arrow. With a little effort, it should come off. I know mine can be a pain in the rear sometimes. The EXO-1000 is made way better, probably with weaker springs, so replacing the visor is a breeze. Wow, didn't think I could write a paragraph on how to remove your visor, did ya?

2. Gently, insert the tip of a flathead screwdriver between the twist grip and the actual visor mechanism. I find that is easiest to first put it in the slot that pulls in when the twist grip is rotated. Then, for good measure, put another screwdriver in the other side. (see my attached picture)

3. Don safety glasses, and twist your screwdrivers! The twist grip will pop off, and go flying into some obscure corner of the room. This should be expected; Murphy's law states so. But really, those things do go flying.

4. Now, you can simply snap the new twist grips on… But! While you have it off, might as well lube up the sliding plastic plates with a little oil to make operation of the wretched thing just a tad gentler. You can also unscrew those flimsy, too big for anything but a fingernail screws and take the whole visor mechanism off.

• 4 years later...

hi RSparky, 

I came to this site specifically for this post.  I realize this is a long time ago, but I didn't see an attached image.  You wouldn't happen to still have that, would you?  I have run into an issue with my Scorpion Exo 1100 where the screw that holds the mechanism to the helmet, behind the twist grip, has come unscrewed.  I'm afraid to try to pry off the twist knob for fear of breaking something, as I don't have replacement twist knobs to replace it with.

Thank you sir!

KB

Sorry, if there was a way to edit without double posting, I could not find it.  

I ended up figuring this out on my own.  The part that pries off is the one outer silver piece that you see, not the whole mechanism itself.  That was what I was most hung up on.  Looking at the replacement knobs on scorpion's site is what made me understand just what part pried off.  

Here is a picture of them to help illustrate for anyone else stuck in the same situation 

5bVMh6b.png

• 4 weeks later...