Alternator Problems??

Jst2fst

Ok, so here is my problem I have a brand new battery for my bike but it won't keep a charge to start the bike had to hook up a jump-box to it today just to get it started. Is their anyway to test for a bad alternator or do I need to but another one. Thanks for the help.

FYI, Its a Stator, not alternator on a bike.

Picky, picky, picky...

My "stator" has three leads and puts out 60VAC which needs rectified to turn in into DC. Alternator or generator, inquiring minds want to know...

POP QUIZ: What does a condenser condense?

Tomatoe, tomato.

:D

Alternators and stators accomplish the same task (pretty much), but the technology is different. Alternators are 'smart,' stators are 'dumb.' Alternators are heavier and use up more hp, that's why most bikes have stators.

Here is a diagram to troubleshoot stators:

http://www.rmstator.com/PDF/fault_finding.pdf

BMW uses an alternator on many of their bikes.

K1200S cutaway. The alternator is the round doohickey in the middle' date=' next to the starter. However, your Katana is not a fine piece of German engineering.

[img']http://www.khulsey.com/motorcycles/sportbike-images/bmw_k1200s_engine-cutaway_lg.jpeg

While my Katana might not be German made but Japaneses made. My parts will not cost me an azz-load when something breaks.:lol:

Success.... Hooked my bike to a volt meter and volts read 12.5 not on and they spike at 15.1-15.2 volts and holding. I guess they battery did not have enough initial charge on it yet to sustain a spark. Thanks for the help guys.