B.O.B. (Bug out bag)

kawi kid

Actually, for survival in the long run, a (zombie proof) redoubt is required. A place to call both home and fortress and occupied by all of us to defend it. I'm not sure where that is, but I would look at the tops of hills with lots of trees to build the required defenses. And yes, I've got the Army engineer manuals that show how to build one. Lots of shovels and rope and sand bags are also required.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redoubt

edit: Near good sources of water and food.

Edited by ReconRat

I've typed like 4 responses so far and deleted them all.

I keep thinking, "man I sound like an asshole..." Self preservation makes my mind go places I'm not proud of.

Beyond being prepared to fend for myself and my wife, finding like-minded individuals would be a high priority. I think 6-8 people is about the biggest group you'd want, and 4 is about the smallest.

I've typed like 4 responses so far and deleted them all.

I keep thinking, "man I sound like an asshole..." Self preservation makes my mind go places I'm not proud of.

Beyond being prepared to fend for myself and my wife, finding like-minded individuals would be a high priority. I think 6-8 people is about the biggest group you'd want, and 4 is about the smallest.

I know what you mean. I have a small group of people that I will be getting with in a relative safe location. I won't give more details than that. ;)

What are you guys expecting to happen?

Anything. Flood, tornado, earthquake, riots, invasion, takeover by the government, loss of income and you are forced from your home... You just never know when something might happen. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. Look at hurricanes down south. The people KNOW a hurricane is coming but at the last second everyone rushes to the store to get supplies because they weren't prepared.

I know what you mean. I have a small group of people that I will be getting with in a relative safe location. I won't give more details than that. ;)

the particular scenario I was thinking of was people with kids wanting to buddy up.

I love my dog because he's MY dog. People love their kids because they're THEIR kids. Either are a liability in a disaster situation. Any person or pet who isn't self-sufficient would just drag everyone else down... It begs choices that none of us would be happy to make.

Speaking of hurricanes down South... a story I remember from friends in hurricane Andrew in the Miami area. The National Guard was out patrolling in armored vehicles, with weapons, and no ammo. An armed street gang figured that out, intercepted and tried to take an armored vehicle and weapons away from them. But the street gang was being followed by a group of armed citizens, and were ambushed during the ambush and arrested. You never know...

Watching the crazies now and could see where a b.o.b. would be nice

That's a freaky movie, all 3 of them are. Actually you bring up another good point. It is recommended to have a small BOB in your car. If you break down and have to hike out to safety, you'll be better prepared for survival. I have yet to set one of these up but is on my list. The hardcore people will actually have something set up at home, in their car, at work and anywhere else they frequent a lot.

I say again... get one or two of the books that describe all the vegetation that is edible in our area of Ohio. Learn it.

I'm pretty sure weapons would only be needed for a short time. Darwin takes care of that.

Quoted for truth but will add weapons are for long term as well. Hunting would be a top priority.

Yep, agree with both. Also, stock seeds for a garden.