personal aircraft and law enforcement. (leo input requested)

magley64

I'm thinking something like this....

http://www.life.com/image/1722466

That's cool but could you CCW with that legally?

This is neat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROTORCRAFT-OCT-NOV-2003-MAGAZINE-PERSONAL-HELICOPTER-/200540437204?pt=Magazines&hash=item2eb1243ad4

Edited by Gump

again, how is the FAA enforced??

Someone lands a small plane or even starts flying low enough like they are going to land and you can be damn sure someone will call the police who will call the FAA. Thats not including if the FAA doesnt see you on radar.

again, how is the FAA enforced??

They have their own enforcement arm. They will involve local LEO's if they have to, but they have an enforcement department.

It could be (pulling this out of my ass) that the FAA enforcers are federal marshals, but I have absolutely nothing to back that up and could be completely wrong.

Someone lands a small plane or even starts flying low enough like they are going to land and you can be damn sure someone will call the police who will call the FAA. Thats not including if the FAA doesnt see you on radar.

there is no way I'm taking this thing above the radar floor, there is no reason for me to fly that high.

there is no way I'm taking this thing above the radar floor, there is no reason for me to fly that high.

Im guessing that based on your lack of understanding that it is the FAA you need to contact and not OSP that you dont understand what all is involved with what you want to try. Its the FAR/AIM you need to be referring to. Go and memorize that book then get back to us. I dont care if you build something or not its the FAR/AIM that is going to save your ass or get you thrown in jail if you dont know it by heart. Its not just the flying or even the building of an aircraft, its all the rules/regs that you need to know. All of the answers to your questions are already published in the FAR/AIM and have been for years. Youre not the first to want to do something like this.

Spend the $15 and get the answers to your questions from the FAA instead of asking opinions on here. This book is GOD when it comes to anything involving rules/regs in the aviation world.

http://www.amazon.com/FAR-AIM-2011-Regulations-Aeronautical/dp/1560277726

41AzcDFmhWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

All of the answers to your questions are already published in the FAR/AIM and have been for years. Youre not the first to want to do something like this.

thank you, but that still doesn't answer my question about how it's enforced. I've seen several oshp, sherrifs, and local pd's, but i've never seen a faa agent. Who is responsible for enforcing these laws?

automotive laws regarding vehicles on the highway are OSHP, Local PD's are responsible for some highway, but mostly non highway within their towns/cities (domestic abuse, robbery, murder, etc etc.), and the sherrifs are responsible for cleaning up everything else (some highway, some domestics outside the cities etc etc.)

who's going to approach me about my aircraft, and what is the protocol?

that's what I want to know.

That's why I was asking for LEO input, "Would you approach someone who had just landed something like this, and what would you say to them?"

"Are you aware of/trained in/fluent in the federal regulations?" and

"how would you handle it?"

who's going to approach me about my aircraft, and what is the protocol?

that's what I want to know.

That's why I was asking for LEO input, "Would you approach someone who had just landed something like this, and what would you say to them?"

"Are you aware of/trained in/fluent in the federal regulations?" and

"how would you handle it?"

It doesnt matter "who" approaches you. It matters what the regs say. The FAA can find out many different ways of people in aircraft doing stupid or dangerous acts or violating rules/regs.

The average person would call the police who report to FAA, etc. Simple chain of events.

Any pilot would most likely call you in as well for being unsafe and breaking the regs.

Yes I am trained in the FAR/AIM as I also hold a private pilots license and yes if I saw you land in a non emergency situation on a public road, I would probably call you in for being unsafe and breaking regs. If you said it was an emergency landing I would also call you in as the FAA should be aware of that and I would be obligated to report it. If I were flying and I saw you land on a road, I would call ATC and report you for fear of it being an emergency.

If you land in fields of people you know and are authorized to do so you would be fine as long as you dont break regs. Dont be surprised if someone doesnt call you in the first few times concerned that you may actually be in an emergency situation.

You keep asking the wrong question of "who" enforces it when the question to ask is what are the regs I would be breaking. Like I said, there are many many ways for the FAA to find out and many of those are the average public calling in low flying aircraft. Ive been called in a few times.

Edited by flounder

Sounds like you guys in those flying machines are a bunch tattletales.

I wish we could tattle on shitty drivers too...

You dont fuck around in a plane.. Enough said.

We spend a shitload of time and money to learn the regs, learn to fly, and be safe doing it and the last thing we need is some jackass up there who doesnt know the rules and puts my life or people on the ground life in danger.

Hell yes I will call you in. If not for being unsafe, for fear that you may actually be having problems that caused you to land on a public road and you could be in danger.

It doesnt matter "who" approaches you. It matters what the regs say. The FAA can find out many different ways of people in aircraft doing stupid or dangerous acts or violating rules/regs.

The average person would call the police who report to FAA, etc. Simple chain of events.

Any pilot would most likely call you in as well for being unsafe and breaking the regs.

If you land in fields of people you know and are authorized to do so you would be fine as long as you dont break regs. Dont be surprised if someone doesnt call you in the first few times concerned that you may actually be in an emergency situation.

You keep asking the wrong question of "who" enforces it when the question to ask is what are the regs I would be breaking. Like I said, there are many many ways for the FAA to find out and many of those are the average public calling in low flying aircraft. Ive been called in a few times.

what happens when you're called in? what's the protocol? who approaches you? how do they approach you? what questions do they ask?

and why are you automatically assuming I'll be unsafe/ landing on roads?

parking lots maybe, but not roads.

and what are the odds I'll see a plane? I don't see planes out here hardly at all. why would they assume my little chopper is unsafe?

what happens when you're called in? what's the protocol? who approaches you? how do they approach you? what questions do they ask?

Depending on the situation, they will call the local airports and local PD and ask them if they know of anything or anyone with a aircraft. Then after that, if they need to, they will start tracking all aircraft in the area to narrow it down. An FAA investigator may be assigned to go further depending on the report or repeated reports of the same activity.

and why are you automatically assuming I'll be unsafe/ landing on roads?

Against the regs and therefore the assumption would be you are performing an activity which has been deemed illegal or unsafe or in an emergency situation.

and what are the odds I'll see a plane? I don't see planes out here hardly at all. why would they assume my little chopper is unsafe?

Do what you want. Im just telling you what your risking and how these things work. Im not getting into what if games. If its against the regs, and you still want to try it, you are acting foolishly thinking you wouldnt get caught. No different then breaking any other law.

Edited by flounder

No different then breaking any other law.

cause none of us ever do that...:rolleyes:

An example of what I'm looking for.

Q: what happens if I ride a motorcycle without a license?

A: usually nothing. Unless you are pulled over for speeding, blowing a red light, popping wheelies or some other offense in the ORC,or if you crash, the cops will probably never ask you to produce a license. If you do get pulled over for something, or crash, the cops will ask to produce license, registration, and proof of insurance. The lack of a license will result in a fine, and quite probably the impounding of your vehicle. Police will call a towtruck, and drag your bike to the impound, and write you a citation.

Q: what happens if I build and fly my own personal chopper?

Q: what happens if I build and fly my own personal chopper?

Nothing... as long as you follow the rules. People build flying vehicles all the time. And the rules are pretty flexible. Especially for small aircraft or home built aircraft. But they don't land and take off from roads, parking lots, backyards, etc. They can, but generally have to get a one time or full time permit to do so.

The most flexible rules would be 60%+ built and flown by the pilot, vehicle under 750 pounds, never fly over 500 feet above the ground, never fly at night or bad weather, and stay away from major airports and restricted airspace. (Which would include most city limits and populated areas.) As best as I can remember anyway. And the rules are often changing on this class of aircraft.

I once watched a OSHP try to signal an ultra light down for flying too close over traffic on a freeway. The ultralight was following the freeway for navigation. It was quite amusing...

Good luck. About 30 years ago I had a couple of friends who happened to be brothers embark on such an adventure. They both died one Sunday morning due to an engine problem & trees. Maybe you should reconsider & take up something safer like base jumping or cave diving.

Sounds like you guys in those flying machines are a bunch tattletales.

If I wanna buzz the tower, you better believe I'm going to BUZZ THE TOWER GODDAMN IT!

I wish we could tattle on shitty drivers too...

Negative ghostrider. The pattern is full.