question for dirt bike bike folks or those with engine smarts

cOoTeR

Ok I bought a pair of bts dirt bikes for my nephew for Christmas. One is a ktm 50 the other is a yamaha pw80. Neither started but both turned when kicked. I bought both for $200. I hope to have them running for Christmas. I haven't messed with the 50 yet. The 80 has a container under the seat for the 2-stroke oil. It also has a hole on the case for 10w-30 oil. From what I've read online its for the auto clutch. It is very hard to kick start almost impossible. I can push start it and it will run for a bit. If you ride it it will run fine then it seems to bog down. If I put it in nuetral and let off the gas it stalls. I pulled the plug out and it has a weak spark and the plug is dark but not black. When it runs it smokes a lot. The smoke is white. Anything I should do to get it running well? I'm going to change the plug tomorrow. Oh yeah the gas is fresh it was empty when I got it.

Might be running rich. Could be the reason for the white smoke and stalling. Could also indicate carborator issues. Weak spark could indicate the plug boot or wire is grounding out or other electrical issues. Sorry, to many possibilities to narrow it down further. Might be worth the time and money to have a real mechanic check it out. I can recommend one if needed.

This raises a flag for me. That little 2-stroke should be feather-light under an adult's foot.

I read it as it was not wanting to start by kicking... If it is hard as in amount of pressure needed to kick it, yes - issue...

My suggestion and what I was going to do if I was able to get these from the guy was a complete carb tear down and clean. Would highly suggest that for you to start. Can't hurt - they've been sitting forever from the sounds. The 50 probably needs a new set of rings and the carb cleaned also...