Wheel blanks

dustinsn3485

So does anyone know where to buy some forged aluminum wheel blanks for motorcycles. I'm wanting to cut my own wheels.

I never have much looked into prices for a blank, but it can't be much I wouldn't think?

I'm just wanting to replace my stock wheels on my '01 ZX 6R.

Notice I didn't say what size do I need, I said where can I find them that is a reliable company. And I'm not doing it myself I don't have the skills, however my father leases out a building to a person who does and can and said if I buy the blank he will.

No offense but Im guessing if you dont know where do get a blank the size you need, then you may not have the skills required to cut your own wheels.
Notice I didn't say what size do I need, I said where can I find them that is a reliable company. And I'm not doing it myself I don't have the skills, however my father leases out a building to a person who does and can and said if I buy the blank he will.

I think Flounder just got :owned: by a newb.gif .

And guess what ... you still didnt say what size you need.. and in your previous post you said "I'm wanting to cut my own wheels" not I want to have wheels cut. There is a difference.

Oh.. you also didnt say what material you wanted them made of so how about providing some info before you go getting lippy like your king shit on turd island.

How about you ask the "person" that you are planning on cutting them, if he has any ideas of where to get ingots of specific material. That should have been your first question. The second would be, have you ever made a set of wheels before? In either case, your most likely going to have allot of money into a set of wheels that Im not to sure I would trust to ride on.

Go to a shop that makes custom car wheels and ask them.

I think Flounder just got :owned: by a newb.gif .

Really,, then you should probably re-read what he typed and realize all of the issues with what was asked.. Example

No size wheel was given

No material was given.

Seems weird to me that someone has the skill to cut a wheel but doesnt know where to get the material to do so? Hmmmm..

Ok nevermind, I'll find other ways to get the information I need. It was my intention that a forum is to be helped not criticized. Maybe it's not a good idea or safe. However it is a question and if I knew the information I would say what I knew add my .02 and let it be.

I'm not wanting a block of forged aluminum (which I did say in my first post) I'm wanting a blank. If I just wanted a block of material that's easy to be found, finding a blank is something a company manufacturers and then the consumer buys the blank and cuts the middle.

And guess what ... you still didnt say what size you need.. and in your previous post you said "I'm wanting to cut my own wheels" not I want to have wheels cut. There is a difference.

Oh.. you also didnt say what material you wanted them made of so how about providing some info before you go getting lippy like your king shit on turd island.

How about you ask the "person" that you are planning on cutting them, if he has any ideas of where to get ingots of specific material. That should have been your first question. The second would be, have you ever made a set of wheels before? In either case, your most likely going to have allot of money into a set of wheels that Im not to sure I would trust to ride on.

Go to a shop that makes custom car wheels and ask them.

Really,, then you should probably re-read what he typed and realize all of the issues with what was asked.. Example

No size wheel was given

No material was given.

Seems weird to me that someone has the skill to cut a wheel but doesnt know where to get the material to do so? Hmmmm..

Dude. You're being a dick. The guy asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer (which looks pretty obvious you don't) then don't talk shit. Why be an ass?

Ok nevermind, I'll find other ways to get the information I need. It was my intention that a forum is to be helped not criticized. Maybe it's not a good idea or safe. However it is a question and if I knew the information I would say what I knew add my .02 and let it be.

I'm not wanting a block of forged aluminum (which I did say in my first post) I'm wanting a blank. If I just wanted a block of material that's easy to be found, finding a blank is something a company manufacturers and then the consumer buys the blank and cuts the middle.

The point Im trying to make is this. Our wheels are not cut from blanks. Our wheels are poured and pressed in a die (aka Cast). They are not a single solid material, You can equate their material qualities to that of aluminum pot metal. If you break one, you will see what I mean. If you want a "blank" motorcycle wheel they your best bet would be to call a Custom Chopper Shop because sportbikes dont use them. There is some missing knowledge here that you should probably have before you go and have "some guy" make you wheels and then throw them on your bike. Its not like if he fucks up he can give you another set.. if he fucks up, you could end up dead...

Come to think of it, you didnt mention that bike your looking to put them on.. If your talking about a cruiser or chopper then forget anything I said except for the call a custom chopper shop..

Hopefully you understand that almost this entire thread could have been avoided if you had provided more info to start.

What Size Rim

Bike model

Material Preference

Experience of the"guy" doing the job.

Dude. You're being a dick. The guy asked a simple question. If you don't know the answer (which looks pretty obvious you don't) then don't talk shit. Why be an ass?

Actually I wasnt being a dick until the his response was given. Its not like putting an exhaust on a bike. There is evidently a huge gap in knowledge about sportbike rims or at least that is what it seemed.. Hell, now that I think about it, he didnt even mention what kind of bike they go on which would have made a huge difference in my response.

And by the way.. youre the pot calling the kettle black...

if your going to have this CNC machined (which I'm assuming you are) You could call a steel supply house and get two pieces of Alum ingot several inches wider, and larger in dia. than you need so it could be machined down. a piece of 20" ingot alum shouldn't be that hard to locate.

If your looking for a true blank like you said, with the centers and seating surfaces already done, your best bet would be to call a wheel manufacturer that cuts billet wheels, but due to liability issues, good luck getting them to sell you one.

Sorry, you want an Aluminum BILLET, not INGOT, Billet is round, ingot is poured into a pre-cast shape.

http://www.aluminum.org/Content/NavigationMenu/The_Industry/-Ingot,_Billet/-Ingot,_Billet.htm

I did know that the stock wheels are cast. However I was assuming that if you were to buy an aftermarket wheel it is one piece. Not two halves

Dweezel is correct, I just am looking for someone that makes the billet wheel with the center and the seating surface already manufactured.

And Angrish has supplied a company so that is the information I was looking for in my first post.

To make a wheel from a block of aluminum would be a lot of guess work.

I'll even add a picture. I just wanted a company that is local I could talk to.

wheels_03.jpg

I did know that the stock wheels are cast. However I was assuming that if you were to buy an aftermarket wheel it is one piece. Not two halves

Dweezel is correct, I just am looking for someone that makes the billet wheel with the center and the seating surface already manufactured.

And Angrish has supplied a company so that is the information I was looking for in my first post.

As you can see all I would need to do on that wheel is cut a design in the center.

wheels_03.jpg

As you can see all I would need to do on that wheel is cut a design in the center.

wheels_03.jpg

I hope the project turns out awesome for you. I really do. Its just that personally, i would be a bit concerned about their structural soundness unless they came from someone that specializes or has experience in making wheels. Last thing I want to see is a fellow rider crashing because some guy said he could fabricate a wheel. If you end up going through with it, I would be interested in the weight differences as well.

I hope the project turns out awesome for you. I really do. Its just that personally, i would be a bit concerned about their structural soundness unless they came from someone that specializes or has experience in making wheels. Last thing I want to see is a fellow rider crashing because some guy said he could fabricate a wheel. If you end up going through with it, I would be interested in the weight differences as well.

wow man, this reply was wayyy too nice. last thing i want to see is a flounder crashing because he didnt let out ALL his rage onto unsuspecting forum members. :D

http://www.allamericanwheel.com/wheels.html

Give these guys a call. They make all the blanks for various size of motorcycle wheels. There are also several custom companies that purchase the blanks from these guys with reviews. That might give you a start. One thing you may want to ask them about is specs for the hub, disc rotor spacing, and cush drive spacers for your sprockets. They should be able to educate you with more details for your decision. There's a starting point for your research.