Adopt my foster dog - English Coonhound

redkow97

The wife and I have been fostering Hammy (aka Miss Hambone - the shelter names a LOT of dogs...) on and off for going on 6 months now.

We recently found a home for 5 month old beagle/shepherd mix, "Rocket," and as soon as he was gone, Hammy came back into our lives.

68781_546224335439_54800024_31798181_2219198_n.jpg

she's a sweet dog. Probably about 3 yrs old. Very active, but also not afraid to nap (a lot).

She's just driving us nuts by wanting so much attention when we already have a dog at home. Honestly, I think she'd be a FANTASTIC hunting/tracking dog.

she's definitely got some guard dog instinct (our neighbor nearly swallowed his cigarette the other day when he tried to sneak a smoke in his back yard and Hammy caught him), but is good with kids, and other dogs. I wouldn't trust her with a cat.

She is totally house-trained, and has never chewed anything in our home. She knows some basic commands, and we're doing our best to reinforce sit, lay, stay, and come while we have her at our house.

the only 'weird' thing about this dog is that she's afraid of tile/laminate floors. She slips, and gets nervous. Again, we're working with her on that by drawing her into our kitchen with food and attention.

she does pull pretty badly on a leash, so we have her using a 'control collar,' which has helped. a "gentle leader" that corrects by pulling her snout might be even better, but we haven't had a chance to pick one up for her yet.

www.secondhandmutts.org for more info, or PM me.

• Upvote 1

ya, this is the full adopt list if anyone's interested http://www.secondhandmutts.org/adoptlist.html

Hammy is just the dog we happen to have right now - there are plenty of others looking for homes as well.

If anyone is concerned about the 'we will only adopt to a home with a fenced yard' thing, I don't think they'd be too strict on that. But Hammy DOES need someone active. I haven't tried to jog with her, but I think that would be a good alternative to a fenced yard.

You just have to always remember that her hunting instinct is STRONG. I literaly have to pull her inside when she trees a squirrel, because she'll just keep barking... And then for the next 3 days, she'll SPRINT to the base of teh tree every time we let her out to see if it's still there.

That's pretty cool what you are doing man

Thanks. We're not in a position to be cutting checks to many charities, so we try to volunteer at events and help out where we can.

Our dog (Henry/Hank) was a Second-Hand Mutt, and came in with a broken leg. I'm sure our $150 adoption fee barely put a dent in his vet bills (they neutered him too), so it's an easy call for us to help them out where we can.

I never really liked dogs until we had one. Now I can't imagine him not being around. Hopefully someone can say that about Hammy soon.

bump and request for cross-posting.

Hammy would make a great christmas present, and I'm happy to keep her fed, sheltered, and entertained until then.

She was a sweetheart this morning when I woke up. While my dog jumped around expecting breakfast, she hung out with me while I brushed my teeth and put in contact.

bumping it up, and hopefully giving this thread a happy ending.

hammy went to the Mutt Hutt today for day care, and is scheduled to meet a potential family this weekend. They're going to take her for a few days and make sure she gets along with their other dog, and hopefully keep her.

bumping it up, and hopefully giving this thread a happy ending.

hammy went to the Mutt Hutt today for day care, and is scheduled to meet a potential family this weekend. They're going to take her for a few days and make sure she gets along with their other dog, and hopefully keep her.

Good to hear!