Help Needed... Know someone who does professional fiberglass work?

Dubguy85

Kind of a cool story, but back when my dad and uncle used to race wera in the old days, they bought a pit bike together... It has been kept in the family for like 30 years, and just got passed down to me. The Petcock is leaking where it screws into the fiberglass tank. I need someone to be able to cut out a hole and fiberglass a new female metal thread and get it to stop leaking. Other than that it just needs the carbs rebuilt and some new hoses and should be good to go... I'll have pictures up soon... A name or number to get ahold of someone would be great... Thanks

pic added

pitbike.jpg

Edited by Dubguy85

ummm, all threads leak, unless there is a gasket, o-ring, or sealant. Check and see, I'm betting it uses either a gasket or an o-ring. That should fix it, you think? Maybe...

Wish it was that easy.. But the fiberglass is cracked and its old.. My dad is pretty smart when it comes to this stuff and he said it needed repaired from someone who knows what they are doing. lol.. Thats all I know.. The bike is at my uncles at the moment and I pick it up on the 26th.. Will know more when I see it.

Agreed, that will take some work. Pressure test also, since it's a fuel tank.

edit: btw, fiberglass tanks and ethanol in the fuel don't play well together.

It might be just the polyester fiberglass type and not the epoxy fiberglass type, but I'm not sure...

Edited by ReconRat

Ken Carr @ carrs custom finishes. Ive never met a better fiberglass guy. Ill shoot you a message with his number

You are the man! Glad you knew someone.. I was just about to text you to have it painted for me when its complete... It had a pretty cool paint job on it over the years, but needs refreshed... I couldn't think of a better person to do it!!!

Thanks Paul!

Most of the one piece tank and seat and tail fiberglass units, from that era, are what I would call rare and collectible. It's probably worth restoring.

Yea, It has been in my family for 30 years. My uncle and dad used it in the pits.. I'm going to try and take it apart this weekend and see what I need to do.