bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

:notinlovewithtone:I don't know a ton about bikes, but I know even less about firearms.

if you don't want to contribute anything useful in the firearms section, no one is forcing you to read it. (i started typing this before IP replied)

Depends on what you're doing with it. Distance shooting? Get a bolt. Home defense? Get an auto. Obviously' date=' the rate of fire will increase with a semi-auto. Durability/reliability depends on the manufacturer and how you care for the weapon. (see: Kalashnikov)

Cost is subject to market whims.[/quote']

+1 nuff said. Lock er up..

I am also finding that NEW bolt-action rifles are the same price as comparable caliber USED rifles.

Make, model, caliber, # of rounds fired, and care of rifle determines resale value.

You havent said what you want to use it for. You need to answer all of the following questions.

1. What will its primary purpose be.

2. What is the max range you think you will be shooting.

3. Do you plan on shooting targets or game. (If game, what is the largest animal)

4. How often do you realistically think you will shoot it.

5. How many rounds do you think you will shoot each outing. (Estimated round count per month/year

6. Will you buy ammo or reload, . etc.

7. What is your budget for the rifle.

8. What is your budget for the scope.

7. What is your budget for ammo.

Answer these and we can better help you.

Edited by flounder

Make, model, caliber, # of rounds fired, and care of rifle determines resale value.

You havent said what you want to use it for. You need to answer all of the following questions.

3. Do you plan on shooting targets or game. (If game, what is the largest animal)

5. How many rounds do you think you will shoot each outing. (Estimated round count per month/year

this is the need to know stuff before we can really help.

Just for some numbers, an entry level .22 LR rifle from a store like Dick's Sporting Goods can cost as little as $99 to $150. Can either be a bolt action or semi auto for the same entry level price. Look at brands like Savage, Marlin and Remington. Good thing you did not ask about engine oil.

well what are the primary differences in:

- cost

- reliability

- accuracy(?)

- durability

- rate of fire

Buy a British SMLE No1Mk3 in .303brit (bolt action)

- Cost; Can be had for under $250

- Reliability; Darn near comes with a guarantee to work for several generations.

- Accuracy; with an 80-100 year old barrel, 3-6 inches at 100 yards.

- Durability; mine is 99 years old and still shoots 3-6 inch groups depending on how well I do my part.

- Rate of fire; 10 well aimed shots per minute. Fastest I have managed in one minute with a reload is 14.

Buy an M1 Garand (semi-auto)

- Cost; $500-$1500

- Reliability; gun show guns can be iffy, once sorted they are a dream.

- Accuracy; new match barrel around 1inch at 100yards, gun show barrel upwards of 7-8 inches at 100yards.

- Durability; another great battle rifle that with minor care should outlast it's owner.

- Rate of fire; 16 aimed rounds per minute. rapid fire probably double that.

For me..... I don't have a place to really enjoy a scoped bolt gun. Deer hunting with such a weapon isn't legal in Ohio and I don't have anywhere to take out other game. So for me, there is more enjoyment in the semi-automatic. Again, much depends on your purpose and realistic shooting space. Punching paper at an indoor range at 70 feet with a scoped 30-06 isn't fun for me. Blasting an AR at the same range is(still overkill for an indoor range, but what the hell?).

Edited by C-bus

1. Primary use will be plinking around at the range, gaining some skill shooting.

2. no idea on max range. SpeedyTriple said there's an outdoor range in Garrettsville that I would probably go to most often; especially if the other local ranges are as small as I assume they are.

3. I don't PLAN on game hunting, but in a doomsday situation, small game.

4. realistically? 4-6 times a year.

5. 100 - 200(?) that's one of the reasons i'm asking. I feel like I'll go through ammo a lot quicker with a semi-auto. Not a huge deal with a .22 though.

6. buy.

7. I'd like to stay around $200, but I can stretch $300 if there's a compelling reason.

8. No idea what scopes cost, but because I can add that later, I'll say $100

cheap ammo is good ammo.

Like the other thread I started a few months back, I'm weighing my options because the wife only wants ONE gun in the house.

I'm leaning toward semi-auto .22, because 99% of its use will be at the range, but the other 1% could possibly be home defense (yes, I fully understand the drawbacks of a .22 for home defense).

that Rossi with multiple barrels would already be mine, but I am getting really hung-up on the inconvenience of a single-shot break-action rifle...

Ruger 10/22 reliable and cheap. ammo is plentiful and cheap also. If you are set on a rifle now and with your skill level I would go for the ruger. I think any other semi auto rifle is going to be over kill and you will just be wasting money on ammo with it.

Yup .22 bolt or semi will work for you. If you want to use it for self defense like you mentioned, duct tape a knife from the kitchen drawer to the end and it'll get the job done with a little practice.

For the ruger 10/22 they make a kit called the archangle that has a bayonnet on the end lol