bolt action v. semi auto

redkow97

Bought the 10/22 this morning. Probably paid a few bucks more than necessary by going to dick's but less than I was seeing online.

So far the only think I don't like about it is that the key to the bolt lock is "made in china."

Cool on getting a 10/22. We should do a range trip soon. That way you can try out some different brands of ammo.

Whatsa gun??

Its something that turns everyone that touches one into a murder!!! They are evil!!

Cool on getting a 10/22. We should do a range trip soon. That way you can try out some different brands of ammo.

It will eat whatever you put into! That's another glorious selling point!!

Also try not to dry fire any rimfire gun will damage the firing pin.

From Rugers 10/22 manual the gun is safe to dry fire, another advantage of the Ruger design.

With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, push the safety to the “off”

position and pull the trigger to decock it. The rifle can be “dry fired” for

practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction.

I have always heard that, but in researching it on the ruger 10/22 in particular, there seems to be an even split claiming that it's either harmless, or damaging.

The manual actually suggests dry-firing with an empty magazine to learn good habits as far as safe handling.

Yeah still indoors though. Kawi you live in the city also lol. No shooting for your back yard.

You haven't seen my other back yard lol

Jarvis is getting our stuff set up so we can do the same

At the gun club or his place? Building an indoor range would be cool. I thought about trying 22 pistols in my basement lol

are there particular brands of ammo to avoid? I'm on ableammo.com browsing stuff...

Until I find something I like, I was planning on not buying 500+ at a time. Is it even worth buying online, or should I just get whatever's on the shelves at Walmart?

I have always heard that, but in researching it on the ruger 10/22 in particular, there seems to be an even split claiming that it's either harmless, or damaging.

The manual actually suggests dry-firing with an empty magazine to learn good habits as far as safe handling.

Ruger has a firing pin blocking device that keeps the pin from slamming into the breech when being dry fired. Since .22 are rim fire the firing pin hits the rim of the case and not a central located primer. If you dont have a round in the chamber, the pin can actually strike the breach face causing problems. But as said, Ruger has a firing pin block in place when there is no round in the chamber to prevent damage.

Edited by flounder

does it really matter what ammo I use?

any reason i should buy from Dick's or Walmart rather than online?

Should I NOT buy boxes of 550 before seeing how the gun likes smaller quantities of a given round?

Buy bulk and shoot the snot out of it. Youre not shooting comps with it and its not a comp gun so dont worry. Just remember that the jacketed/plated bullets will feed better and longer as the straight lead bullets will dirty up the feed ramp a bit quicker. Either way, nothing you feed it will hurt it so go enjoy. When it gets dirty, clean it then shoot the snot out of it and dirty it up again.

I shoot whatever outta mine. That's the glory of the ruger it will cycle about anything. I just get mine from walfart in the 550 case and never had any issues. I also have some subsonic rounds im yet to shoot but from what I understand it might not be enough umph to eject he case so you have to operate it like a bolt action lol