Investing...

Mykill

Wow thats horrible advice man. Theres more to stocks then just the stock price. P/E ratios, PEG, dividend yields, debt, etc. You have to ask yourself why is that stock at that price.

A 20% increase in your portfolio is 20% regardless of individual equity price.

On another note, if you do options thinkorswim is great. If youre doing only equity trades, i like scottrade with $7 online trades.

yeah, there's research to be done on the cheaper stocks. but nobody is gonna spend the time to research it for him. So this is just some starting point advice.

I've heard good things about scotts trade as well.

Here's a tip for the lazy...long oil.

Holding some oil based stocks in as part of a portfolio is a good idea. Although for the moment it might be a bit of a gamble with the Libya situation going on. Oil stocks have jumped so, if you get in now, prepare to dump them if Libya goes postal and price peaks, and then if it calms down, you would take a loss if you had jumped in today. Roll the dice. Fortunately I've been in some oil related stocks for years. Its somewhat like gold stocks. --- The world blows up, oil goes up.

Edited by mello dude

You joke, but ive made a killing on MGM and LVS in the past year and half or so...

me too (wynn) but it's not for everyone, and certainly not for people who haven't been doing it for a while.

Slow and steady wins the race my friends.

Maybe I just don't have the stomach for individual holdings. I'm a steady YOY growth guy.

That's perfectly fine. I'm a very risky investor and love small cap and biotechs. Once I'm done with school and have more free time I'll probably start dabbing in futures and forex.

People need to realize there are different types of investors, but you just need to be intelligent about it. It takes research and time to read up on stocks otwhateer youreinvestin in. I you're not willing to do that then consider buying a CD and leaving it there cuz equities is definitely not for you.

Then I see people who say buy the cheap stocks blindly. That works when there's a once in a lifetime market meltdown. But you have no strategy when the matte rises an reaches a sustainable level.

Not saying buy a house, just investment property. Its cheap right now and it will go up. On the off chance it doesnt, you still have something.

a friend of mine and I are toying with the idea of going in on a house 50/50 and either renting or turning it around.

the problem with the latter is that the longer that takes, the more you lose in interest and payments. Cost of improvements is something you can control; cost of ownership isn't...

Renting would be more appealing, but it's 100% dependent on finding good tenants. 1 bad tenant can make your life hell, and cost you tens of thousands...

I have the basic landlord/tenant law down pretty well, but as someone else said, tenants have a lot more rights than landlords. I've heard horror stories where the landlord sues and WINS after the tenant caused $7k in damage to the property.

The problem is, there's probably a statutory limit on the damages, and winning doesn't mean that the tenant can pay you... That guy had $7k in damages, and what did he win? His tenants wages were garnished to the tune of $16 per pay check. The landlord gets a $32 check each month. I'm betting his attorney fees were also in the $2500-$5,000 range.

Great win for the landlord.:rolleyes: