Marines Might Lose their Tanks...

Jst2fst

Their overall training exceeds that of the other branches. Marines are all infantry first and foremost. Then they act on their specialty. Army is geared more towards the soldier's specialty, not infantry. MArines mentality is also totally different. In a sense they don't want to let the corps down and will do anything to keep that from happening. They have the longest basic training and go more in depth on tactics right off the bat. Whereas the Army just cover just the basics in basic. Once a Marine, always a Marine. I'm sure Jagr could answer better, that's just my take.

Look at that, no Marine jokes were thrown in there. lol

So it sounds to me like it's a training issue. Apart from tradition, I don't see why the Army can't modify it's MOS assignments and training to reflect this change.

Well said Chevy. I gots chills.

First To Fight Cheech. It's also that Marines can mobilize and start killin based on a Presidential Order. Doing that for the Army takes an act of Congress. We know how long that can take.

So it sounds to me like it's a training issue. Apart from tradition, I don't see why the Army can't modify it's MOS assignments and training to reflect this change.

It is a training issue in part, but indirectly. It's what each branch feels like the necessary training is. For a tank mechanic like myself, my training was geared toward what my job was. You also have to look at the numbers. There is a reason the Marine motto is "The few, the proud" There are less Marines than soldiers so their training needs to encompass anything and everything. The Army has enough soldiers that they feel that if a cook can't clear a building, no big deal, he doesn't need to.

My training didn't pick up until we were going to deploy. Before they didn't think I needed combat skills. Then after our deployment orders they realized they had failed in the area. So we got some combat training.

That has changed somewhat in the Army but it is all unit/section dependent. When we got back to the States I made sure my fresh soldiers got as much training as they could get. I made sure it was realistic for them and not just going through the motions. I really with the Army would treat every soldier combat ready and train them to that level.

So since the Army can't/won't train rapid deploying highly trained infantry units, it sounds like the Marines are destined to continue this role forever since I can't see the Executive giving up the power to deploy force without Congressional approval.

So since the Army can't/won't train rapid deploying highly trained infantry units, it sounds like the Marines are destined to continue this role forever since I can't see the Executive giving up the power to deploy force without Congressional approval.

What is said is true. US Marines are a quick, effective, and feared fighting force. The same might be said about DELTA, SEALS, Rangers, and Special Forces.

The difference is that there are a lot of US Marines.

Yup, I'd say so.